VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 03:26:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox ESR  (Read 1111 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: May 15, 2014, 04:52:24 pm »

I didn't like the changes in FF 29 so I switched to the ESR version (24.5.0). I may not be the only one who prefer it.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

CrazyDog

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 07:43:03 pm »

Good call nightflier!  The latest versions of FF tend to "hang" after some use.  I have not encountered this problem with ESR, and it receives regular security updates as well.

Thanks! Grin
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:20:36 am »

Found it in 7.1 untested repo. It complained about needing mozilla-nss 3.15.2, with 3.13.5 in the repo. Installed anyway and it looks fine.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:48:00 am »

Installed on VL 7.0 Light (32-bit) with no problems. Had to move icons for the plugins "Disconnect" and "HTTPS Everywhere" back up into the navigation bar manually. This was no trouble using "View" from the menu and is to be expected, as I was reverting from ff 29.0.

No troubles or even installer complaints about mozilla-nss version on this 7.0 32-bit. mozilla-nss-3.14.3 had been previously installed.

Feels much, much more like home again. Thanks for the effort in this; hope following Firefox ESR's will continue to be an option.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 04:42:45 pm »

Robert, enjoy it while it lasts. It buys us 6 months: http://mozorg.cdn.mozilla.net/media/img/firefox/organizations/release-overview.png?fx24
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:16:57 pm »

I think I'm reading that right: we'd have about three months of updates remaining for ESR 24.x in which to get the ESR 31.x series ironed out well enough to become the "standard".

As a matter of taste, sure I prefer 24. But what actually counts is the breakage encountered with a "total new release" and required "updates" that implies for the libs. So yeah, I'll miss 24, but continuing to have the ESR path (31.x, 38.x . . .) as an additional option will hopefully help users and packagers with Firefox security updates as a VL version nears the end of its life.

In any case, good info. Thanks, Nightflier.

Robert
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 05:08:19 am »

Firefox ESR is up to 24.6.0.

Package note: the current package's .desktop file lists the executable as "firefox-esr", which does not exist. It needs to be just "firefox" or "/usr/lib(64)/firefox-[ver]/firefox".
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 09:42:45 am »

Hate the new format as well. However, there's a way to have the best of both worlds. Cheesy

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:54:42 pm »

I have updated the package on 7.0 and 7.1 and fixed the issues with the desktop file.  Packages are being built now.  After they finish, please test and report back.

Thanks

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 11:53:24 am »

Thanks, M0E-lnx!

Installed to a 7.0 32-bit machine that had not had esr before. Did not manually remove the existing ff 28.0. Only had time to start it, watch it "checking to see if your plugins are compatible . . .", grab the user's homepage (duckduckgo lite), then open the forum in a new tab. All that went well. Of course, there were two "firefox" entires in the DE's menu. Not sure whether that should be changed at all. Could get sticky, what with "default browser" and all.

Installed to my own 7.0 32-bit, which by now had Firefox-esr 24.5 as the only Firefox left. Upgrading that to the new 24.6.0-esr with slapt-get went fine. One Firefox menu entry, and it seems to run well.

For 7.0, might consider moving this to non-purged area of repo NOW. Could be wrong (see other posts), but I think 19.0 is the latest installable Firefox in there.

Robert
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 12:54:53 pm »

I'm rebuilding the firefox and firefox-esr packages now to include slack-conflicts.  THis will automatically remove (after confirmed by the user) conflicting firefox releases on the same system.

To test, you'll need to remove firefox and firefox-esr packages.
run slapt-get -u with untested enabled
install firefox
install firefox-esr (this should ask you to confirm the removal of firefox first)
you can try the other way around too
install firefox-esr
install firefox (this should ask you to confirm the removal of firefox-esr first)

When the packages are finished and uploaded, please test and report back
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:05:30 pm by M0E-lnx » Logged

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 07:43:14 am »

Tested this on 7.1 32-bit (Light A0.2).

I see the slack-conflicts file in the firefox 30 pkg, and it does remove firefox-esr when installed with slapt-get.

I do not see the slack-conflicts file in firefox-esr 24.6 pkg, and it does not remove firefox.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 09:26:04 am »

the esr package failed to build for 64-bit 7.1  Re-building now... try again later when this build finishes
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/buildbot/builders/firefox-esr/builds/17

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: