VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 02:10:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved] how can I remove proprietary nvidia driver?  (Read 2409 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: February 06, 2014, 08:03:19 am »

Hello.  I have an Nvidia Geforce video card (GeForce4 MX 4000) which is currently using the proprietary driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23-pkg1.run).  I'd like to replace this with the open source nouveau driver, but I'm not sure how to remove the proprietary driver.  Anyone know how I can do this?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:31:44 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 09:30:21 am »

Okay, I kind of solved this.  Rebooted, went to command line, ran the following command on the run file:
Code:
sh /home/mark/slackpacks/nvidia/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23.pkg1.run --uninstall
I also could simply have run the command "nvidia-installer --uninstall"

I then installed the nouveau driver, but this did not work.  The xorg.conf file was still the same -- it still referred to the nvidia driver.  However, I saw that there was an xorg.conf-vesa file, so I changed the name of this to xorg.conf, rebooted, and it did work.  The desktop fonts and resolution are a bit different, but otherwise it seems fine.  Also 3d acceleration seems to work (according to glxinfo).  

ETA:  I went back to the proprietary driver, since it seems to work a little better.  I have plenty of issues with my old computer, so I was experimenting with changing this driver to see if it would make a slight improvement, but it didn't.  I think I just need a new computer.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:22:22 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 05:08:29 am »

I was just playing with the nvidia driver aswell but reinstalled to get the nouveau driver back. so not much help. I found the nvidia driver solved some issues and caused others but the limitations of the default driver are better in the end.

Thanks, for posting your solution

Everything Is Relative
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 05:37:52 am »

So you're using the nouveau driver?  My last attempt resulted in me using the vesa driver default, but I would still like to try the nouveau driver.  Could you you post your xorg.conf file for me to see?

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 06:52:03 am »

Sorry, Perhaps I am NOT using the nouveau driver, I am using what ever the default is at install. I have both xorg.conf-vesa and xorg.conf-fbdev in /etc/x11 but no xorg.conf.

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 11:43:36 am »

If you have no xorg.conf file, X will configure itself and use the driver it thinks is the best choice. For nVidia cards that is nouveau. That is assuming it is available. If you copy xorg.conf-vesa to xorg.conf, it will use the vesa driver.

When you install nvidia, it will disable nouveau. I have not tried to un-install nvidia, but I should think that the installer would re-enable nouveau on uninstall.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: