VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 12:25:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 7.1 RC1 has been released  (Read 23562 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 06:09:18 am »

Desktop launchers:
"Vector-Tutorials" link seems to be defunct. Better to use http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken
"Vector-Docs" would be more appropriately named "Vector Home Page".
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 03:44:37 pm »

Well, I just recently got a new Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard, so I tried installing Vector Linux to it, I FINALLY was able to get to the point of actually trying it out (got to the logon screen) . . . and then the "fun" started - the pointer for my USB mouse worked for about one second, and FROZE, then I tried to enter my user name and password - the cursor moved, but no text appeared Sad (It did eventually), so what I want to know is: What keyboard should I select for use during setup (the strange thing is that it seemed to work fine during the setup process)? And before I forget, I noticed that the only documentation that is on the CD for it is for version 6.0, not 7.1
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:47:52 pm by Locator » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 02:26:05 am »

Locator, I think this is a power saving setting. In a terminal, as root, give this command:
Code:
for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/control; do echo on > $i; done
If that fixes it, add that line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Obviously, such a fix would be a workaround until a permanent fix is implemented.
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 06:12:25 pm »

What does a power saving setting have to do with it?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 02:09:11 am »

It puts the pointing device to sleep to save power. You have to click to wake it back up. Only makes sense on a laptop with external mouse, in my opinion.
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 03:14:39 pm »

Actually it seems a bit useless if I can't enter any text in the first place Sad.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 06:59:44 pm »

As you said your keyboard works just not for the login text.

if you enter your name and password is all well on the desktop?

also do you have text in the session and language menus on the login screen?

also what is the model of your video card?

although repeating response to your other posts on the subject, no reply was given making further assistance rather difficult

did you try nightfliers suggestion for the mouse?

Everything Is Relative
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 11:08:58 am »

But how do I get to terminal mode if the mouse drivers won't work to begin with?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 11:45:45 am »

Locator, if your mouse does not wake up when you click a button, then my suggestion does not apply.

In general though, you should always be able to get to a terminal using keyboard only. If it responds at boot menu, select the TUI option. If it insists on booting to GUI, log in using the keyboard, then use a key combination like "Alt-f2" or "Ctrl-Alt-F2".
kevjonesin

: }

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 03:49:17 am »

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a '"VL 7.1 LIGHT" edition in the works (alpha, beta, RC)?

... Also, in general, where is best to follow and offer feedback on the "Light" edition project?

[The "VL 7.0 LIGHT feedback and suggestions." thread's last shown activity was two years ago.]

I just installed "VL 7.0 LIGHT" on an old PIII laptop and am rather liking it so far. Quite spry.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:08:26 am by kevjonesin » Logged

VL 7.0 LIGHT, Compaq Armada M700 (laptop), 1 GHz PIII CPU, 576 MB RAM
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 05:30:00 am »

The light version is coming along and is undergoing internal testing right now. A public announcement making it available for testing shouldn't be too far off.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 06:25:04 pm »

Locator, if your mouse does not wake up when you click a button, then my suggestion does not apply.

In general though, you should always be able to get to a terminal using keyboard only. If it responds at boot menu, select the TUI option. If it insists on booting to GUI, log in using the keyboard, then use a key combination like "Alt-f2" or "Ctrl-Alt-F2".

I almost forgot to mention the fact that I was FINALLY able to install VL7.1 and use my USB keyboard and mouse (after making a few minor changes to my motherboard's BIOS settings), but in order to keep the mouse going long enough to implement the command you suggested earlier (which DID seem to resolve the problem, by the way) I ended up having to left-click the mouse every few seconds. Unfortunately I discovered some other problems during the process - such as the fact that it wouldn't recognize my USB printer, for example, and it doesn't seem to allow for the use of vpackager (I didn't see it when using GSlapt) which means that I can't make use of any .bz2 files, so as of right now, I have gone back to using Vector Linux 7.0.
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 10:15:25 pm »

Hi,

I will test it today on my netbook :-)

greetings

nicdm

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 01:44:04 pm »

will there be additional (rc) candidates released or am I awaiting the final release of Vectorlinux 7.1?  Smiley

Everything Is Relative
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 03:06:21 pm »

And I hope that all the bugs will be worked out of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: