VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 12:38:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious from afar.  (Read 3443 times)
CMAR606

« on: April 09, 2014, 11:13:20 am »

I have always been curious about this version of Linux... I've never used slackware based OS's just *buntus, Fedora, Suse but I've always have been scared to try VL for the fact ( well I have tried it before back in 2012) but having to manually update the kernel and put the file in this folder for this to update just sounds like a headache. I am use to the OS doing it for me... how hard is VL to use?

Thanks,
Christopher
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:51:45 am »

Hello Christopher, welcome to the forum!

The goal of Vector is to provide the stability and speed of traditional Linux distributions in an easy to use operating system. Developers work hard to achieve this balance. In some aspects the goal is fulfilled, and in others more work is still required. You still have to update kernel packages manually. However, this is not hard to do, and there is a helpful community to provide guidance if you need it.
I would encourage you to download the latest 7.1 ISO and give it a try. Your feedback will be appreciated.

Hope this helps, Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
CMAR606

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:59:17 am »

Thanks Smiley

Just curious before I download anything... what is the procedures for updating the Kernel

and what DE's do you offer besides XFCE?

how about installing packages? like KDE is Muon in Kubuntu, forgot the name in Fedora, and like Yast in Suse?

Thanks,
Christopher
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32:46 pm »

vector linux has a fairly new kernel already. 7.1 rc1 has 3.12.16. i think youd find this to be more than adequate. however if you wanted to compile the latest kernel its not overly difficult. however i'll leave that for one of the more knowledgeable guys to help with

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 01:26:23 pm »

The procedure for updating the kernel is like this:

* You go to the kernels directory in the repo, for 7.1 this would be:
   http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/kernels/

* As root, you install at least the kernel and kernel-modules packages of your choice, you just need to be sure all the packages have the same version number, for example:

$ installpkg http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/kernels/3.12.16-1vl71/kernel-3.12.16-x86-1vl71.txz
    $ installpkg http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/kernels/3.12.16-1vl71/kernel-modules-3.12.16-x86-1vl71.txz

You also install additional packages if yu need them, for example you will need the kernel source for installing the nvidia proprietary drivers:

$ http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/kernels/3.12.16-1vl71/kernel-src-3.12.16-x86-1vl71.txz

Then you update your bootloader, if you are running Lilo this is done with:

$ vliloconf

If you are running Grub:

$ grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Thats it, you can reboot and then pick the new kernel in the bootloader screen. After testing and being sure everything works as expected, you can remove old kernel if you want.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:29:26 pm »

We use GSlapt for installing packages, and slapt-get from the command line if needed.
There are many DEs in the repos, from KDE to LXDE, whats your preference?

--
Jumalauta!!
CMAR606

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 02:51:04 pm »

We use GSlapt for installing packages, and slapt-get from the command line if needed.
There are many DEs in the repos, from KDE to LXDE, whats your preference?

I am kinda burnt out on KDE...

I like LDXE and XFCE if thats all you offer to choose from. ^_^.

Gnome 3 = sucks :X
CMAR606

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 02:52:55 pm »

The procedure for updating the kernel is like this:

* You go to the kernels directory in the repo, for 7.1 this would be:
   http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/kernels/

* As root, you install at least the kernel and kernel-modules packages of your choice, you just need to be sure all the packages have the same version number, for example:

$ installpkg http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/kernels/3.12.16-1vl71/kernel-3.12.16-x86-1vl71.txz
    $ installpkg http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/kernels/3.12.16-1vl71/kernel-modules-3.12.16-x86-1vl71.txz

You also install additional packages if yu need them, for example you will need the kernel source for installing the nvidia proprietary drivers:

$ http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/kernels/3.12.16-1vl71/kernel-src-3.12.16-x86-1vl71.txz

Then you update your bootloader, if you are running Lilo this is done with:

$ vliloconf

If you are running Grub:

$ grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Thats it, you can reboot and then pick the new kernel in the bootloader screen. After testing and being sure everything works as expected, you can remove old kernel if you want.

That made my head spin... lol seems kinda complicated ( I know im spoiled buntus, fedora, suse do it all for you :X)

I knew GRANNYGEEK ( RIP) from the Compuserve Linux forum and she used VL XFCE.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 04:22:02 pm »

You do not need to upgrade kernel unless there is some security or hardware issues...

btw, do really GrannyGeek passed away? Last i heard she got cancer or some illness...
CMAR606

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 04:24:34 pm »

Yes she did back in 2012... Sad

So how do you know when to update the kernel is there a notification etc? and how often do ya'll have to upgrade it?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 04:47:06 pm »

You can install KDE from the repository.
We do not update kernel often in general, but we do make them available from the repository for those who want to. The forum is the best way to stay connected with the community and if there is a security issue or any other problem requiring an update, we will likely mention it here.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 10:27:44 pm »

CMAR606,

Thanks much for the info.  I suspected as much.  We will all miss Granny-Geek, as noted elsewhere on this forum.

Concerning your kernel question, I have occasionally installed a newer kernel.  As Rodrigo says, it is not difficult.  I always, though, went back to the kernel that came with the version of Vector I was using.  I just did not have the time to make the program adjustments that seemed to be necessary following installation of the new kernel.  In short, the gain was not worth the pain.

Concerning your overall questions about Vector, I use it because it is a great learning tool.  Many of the distros you mention are stable and all that, as is Vector.  But, since VL has so few programs loaded on initial install, the user is encouraged to experiment with various other programs.  Some work.  Some don't.  For me, after all is said and done, Vector is simply more fun than the other distros.  More exciting.  Productive of freedom.  Less structured. VL encourages us to use the stable repository, but the temptation to head to the testing repository or to no repository is sometimes overwhelming. Some Founding Father type could have been referring to Vector Linux when he said that the choice we all have to one degree or another is between the boisterous seas of freedom and the calm waters of despotism.  A little much, perhaps, when applied to software, but you get the idea.  If you  want the security of stable repositories, don't load anything that isn't in stable.  But VL by its nature lends itself to experimentation with new stuff.  So if you are inclined to occasionally head towards experimentation and risk, Vector is your distro.  If you screw up, this forum will come to your aid. Can't say the same about the debian forums, when asking about some strange program you have decided to try.   If you want others to do most of the experimentation for you, you are probably a debian guy as it is easier to stay within stable debian than to stay within stable VL.  I have Vector on my personal laptop and a couple of machines at the office, and am looking forward to 7.1, but pretty much default to debian for most office work.  I don't want the employees experimenting with computers on my dime.  And I don't like to be made fun of when I do something stupid.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
CMAR606

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 01:22:07 am »

Well, so far I am trying VL out in a VM on top of Ubuntu so far I like pretty groovy!

having a few issues with terminal... but alot of the packages I use are in gslapt... Evolution, VLC, etc... Cheesy big grin there

but I notice everything is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY out of date... like pre installed opera 11.15 !!! were up to 12.15 now ( havent figured out how to update the system as a whole so all programs are up to date )

but terminal issue is:

when trying to get a package I tried

slapt-get libreoffice

said that " Sorry Christopher is not allowed to execute '/bin/bash -c  slapt-get install libreoffice
on vector.linux.net"

I tried su slapt-get install libreoffice same thing

tried sudo same thing

sudo -i same thing...

When installing VL I just went with the default prompts hit hit next next didnt change anything except full install. other wise pretty cool OS so far going to play with it some more ^_^

Christopher
CMAR606

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 01:32:27 am »

ah never mind figured it out

gslapt >> mark all upgrades Cheesy

Christopher
CMAR606

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 01:38:04 am »

sorry I am asking too many questions......

But whats your EOL ( end of life) policy like Ubuntus is like 6 months now instead of a year something like that before you have to upgrade because like right now im on 13.10 which expires in july.

Thanks,
Christopher
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: