VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 11:06:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious from afar.  (Read 3645 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 01:57:11 am »

but I notice everything is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY out of date... like pre installed opera 11.15 !!! were up to 12.15 now ( havent figured out how to update the system as a whole so all programs are up to date )

I think a lot of this is policy stuff.  Its probably wise to update most of the time for security and operational reasons, but updating is not always wise.  So, far as I know, Vector is not as interested in automatic updating as is, say, debian.  But Vector is good with security updates, though finding out about them may require keeping up with this forum.  Others here are probably more knowledgeable about this and may post.  Some folks routinely and perhaps automatically install all updates.  Others, and I am one, do not routinely update.  I update when I think an update is in order, not otherwise.  So I have some pretty old programs.  I haven't updated one of my programs for at least 10 years. Its not broke, so I see no need to fix it.

tried sudo same thing

Slackware uses a true root (su).  I don't know if sudo works with it or not, but I strongly prefer su.  You should be true root to use gslapt, I believe.

Good luck. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
CMAR606

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 03:46:50 am »

>>>I think a lot of this is policy stuff.  Its probably wise to update most of the time for security and operational reasons, but updating is not always wise.  So, far as I know, Vector is not as interested in automatic updating as is, say, debian.  But Vector is good with security updates, though finding out about them may require keeping up with this forum.  Others here are probably more knowledgeable about this and may post.  Some folks routinely and perhaps automatically install all updates.  Others, and I am one, do not routinely update.  I update when I think an update is in order, not otherwise.  So I have some pretty old programs.  I haven't updated one of my programs for at least 10 years. Its not broke, so I see no need to fix it.<<

Oh wow, but doesnt old stuff have holes in it after awhile exploits etc? Like Firefox or Chromium etc after they get 1 or 2 years behind? wow thats cool you dont have to update as much as you do with SUSE and Fedora and Bunts... I swear on ubuntu it seems like theres a update for Firefox every other week lol no lie.

Christpher
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:57 am »

The life cycle of a VL distribution is 2 years on average.
In general we dont recommend system wide updates if everything is working fine for you. Security updates are released pretty quickly after it is known.
We dont use sudo in the terminal, we use su instead. You type su, then your root password and then you become root until you exit the shell.

I would recommend you installing 7.1 which is RC1. It is stable and we expect only minor issues if any. The packages there are all recent.
You dont need to worry about updates too much imho. Important packages like Firefox are updated a few hours after a new version is released.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 04:34:20 pm »

Regarding software update, most of the latest version you can find it under the testing repo (for VL7.0).
Sometime VL is kind of slow in moving packages from testing to default repo. But then VL is not the most fully automated and bleedy edge distro in the market. Smiley

For VL 7.0,
You can install the software from the testing by enable it in gslapt/slapt-get and most of the time it work as usual.
Not recommended to run a full update with testing repo enabled thou.

32bit: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/testing/
64bit: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-7.0/testing/

For VL 7.1,
Since it is still in RC stage (but working well), most of the stable version should be available in the default repo...

PS: If you want some new or update version of software, you can post it in the Packages Request section in the forum and some one will try to build it for you
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:39:14 pm by hata_ph » Logged
CMAR606

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 05:38:30 pm »

it just blew my mind when RBIS said that in the community here they dont recommend updating the software and that using OPERA 11 is ok... for instance....  I am still stuck / cant get over on that part. Sorry to sound like a n00b.

Christopher
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 11:35:13 pm »

CMAR606,

As i say you can find the latest version of software under testing repo...and i just check opera-12.16 is there...
BTW, who is RBIS?
CMAR606

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 03:04:28 am »

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 03:06:56 am »

it just blew my mind when RBIS said that in the community here they dont recommend updating the software and that using OPERA 11 is ok... for instance....  I am still stuck / cant get over on that part. Sorry to sound like a n00b.

Christopher

Please don't get me wrong, what I said is the we don't recommend *system wide updates* and we favor a more "rational" approach where you install updates that fix some existing problem. Browsers and other sensitive software are updated as soon as possible and you can -and you should- install these updates with the package manager.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
CMAR606

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 11:52:43 am »

wow.... IM quite shocked... XFCE only was using 107 MB out of 512 in my VM in Xubuntu it would be prob 130 or 145

and LDXE was only using A WHOPPING 84 MB!!!

LOOOVE IT! Def might be installing!
just cant decide LDXE or XFCE >> Very big grin >>

Oh and about the testing repos to get latest software I was looking around in my Test VM BOX setup of VL theres like TONS of testing repos.. one thats xxxxx.slackware.com ibiblio? or something like that!

Christopher
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 06:05:10 pm »

As default you should stick to the vectorlinux's official repo.
But since VL is based on Slackware, so any slackware based packages are consider compatible but I personally not recommend it
If any packages is missing you should make a request in the forum and packagers will build it for you
CMAR606

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 06:11:09 pm »

so any of them that say www.vectorlinux.com/testing
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 08:18:16 pm »

The testing repo path is

32bit: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/testing/
64bit: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-7.0/testing/

You need to add it in gslapt/slapt-get to use them...

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkYWkiHht8o
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 09:18:40 pm »

hata_ph,

You are right, of course.  But I would add that on occasion one learns a lot by going outside of all repositories.  For example, etm, an older version of which is in the VL repositories, was not in any slackware or debian repository when I started using it, and is still not in the debian repositories.  However I use it daily, hourly.  Etm is one of those programs that seems to be in a constant state of flux and development.  Just the other day, it branched into a completely new gui, being etmtk, rather than etmqt, and I switched along with it..  For the most part, the older versions still work. However, until etm settles down, I think it best to just install it from the etm site at Duke University. It would probably be too much work to keep it up to date in the repositories.This is why I love VL. If etm had busted my system (ergo my nickname), I would have not been embarrassed to come, hat in hand, to the VL forum and ask for help.

Sledgehammer.

BTW, I have been using etm for about 3 years now.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:25:04 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 09:45:02 pm »

VL like Slackware apply the "don't update unless it is need" policy. That why we suggest not to run system wide updates as it may break your system.

BTW, enable the testing repo only to install/upgrade the software you need. Do not run system wide updates with testing repo enabled. It might break your system.
CMAR606

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 10:34:43 am »

I think I understand... * Scratches head and gives the puzzled look*

So basically your saying I just about never have to do the " MARK ALL UPGRADES" then " APPLY"?

Christopher

Right now in my VM ( VirtualBox) says all upgrades are waiting:

Terminal
Automake
Boost
Brasero
2 things of Cario
cmake
cups
ffmpeg
flash
fluxbox
gambas
geany
gnumeric
gnupg
gnutls
java
lx panel ( LXDE)
and XFCE updates
( like xfce power mgr and lxde this and that)

and lots more...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:44:26 am by CMAR606 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: