VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 10:10:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: IM GIVING UP.......  (Read 1252 times)
CMAR606

« on: April 14, 2014, 02:12:28 pm »

Hi folks,

Tried 3 times to install VL just wouldnt budge...

I used both UNETBOOTIN and one thats built into Ubuntu.

first try:
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/VectorLinux/0414141236.jpg

2nd try:
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/VectorLinux/0414141328.jpg

3rd and final try:
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/VectorLinux/0414141248.jpg

On this custom built pc.. I have to disable the hardrive in the bios then reboot and it picks up on the usb sticks and boots to it. But as you see thats as far as I got.

Now I am stuck on Linux Mint Debian Sad

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/VectorLinux/Screenshotfrom2014-04-14171603.png

I was really hoping to try VL... Weird it installed perfectly in the VM but not on this pc

I even redownloaded the ISO a 2nd time ( screenshot 2 and 3)

--- Christopher

wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:31:38 pm »

grab the iso and try this, which is our "supported" method for installing from usb stick

switch to root
Code:
su -

change directory to where the iso is
Code:
cd /dir/of/iso

"hybrid mode" which can be booted from either CD-ROM or from a device which BIOS considers a hard disk or ZIP disk, e.g. a USB key or similar.
Code:
isohybrid name-of-the.iso

find your usb sticks drive designation (e.g. /dev/sdb)
Code:
fdisk -l

create a bootable usb stick  (please double check your drive designation, if you supply the wrong designation (i.e. your hdd instead of the usb stick) you will wipe that particular drive irreversibley)
Code:
dd if=name-of-the.iso of=/dev/<your-usb>

note: fdisk -l will return something such as /dev/sdb1 for your usb stick, however in the dd command above (the very last one) do NOT include the digit 1. just use /dev/sdb (for example)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:35:15 pm by wigums » Logged

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
CMAR606

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:47:24 pm »

Ok I did what you said... When I got to the end to dd the iso it returned a line and hasnt went back to prompt yet

cwm@test ~ $ su -
Password:
su: Authentication failure
[1]cwm@test ~ $ su -
Password:
su: Authentication failure
[1]cwm@test ~ $ sudo cd /home/cwm/Downloads
[sudo] password for cwm:
sudo: cd: command not found
[1]cwm@test ~ $ clear
cwm@test ~ $ cd /home/cwm/Downloads
cwm@test ~/Downloads $ isohybrid VL7.0-STD-GOLD.iso
cwm@test ~/Downloads $ fdisk -l
Command 'fdisk' is available in '/sbin/fdisk'
The command could not be located because '/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
This is most likely caused by the lack of administrative priviledges associated with your user account.
fdisk: command not found
[127]cwm@test ~/Downloads $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 249998918144 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30393 cylinders, total 488279137 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0005b0e3

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1            2048    12584959     6291456   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2        12584960   201328639    94371840   83  Linux
/dev/sda3       201328640   488278015   143474688   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 3932 MB, 3932160000 bytes
15 heads, 48 sectors/track, 10666 cylinders, total 7680000 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000d1c52

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1            2048     7679999     3838976    b  W95 FAT32

cwm@test ~/Downloads $ dd if=VL7.0-STD-GOLD.iso of=/dev/sdb

[] << Blinking cursor here... for the last 5 or so min.

wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 02:55:25 pm »

yea it takes a few mins, let it go for a few more

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
CMAR606

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 03:15:40 pm »

No Dice Sad

I get in and when I get to the part that says pick your screen size it says HOLD TIGHT SCREEN MIGHT BLINK

then it says loading root
and checking for existing user

then this comes up:

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/VectorLinux/0414141809.jpg

then it says rebooting..............

I tried it with nogui

I tried letting x configure the screen

Tried 1024, my native 1280 same result. just shuts down and reboots.
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 03:24:02 pm »

personally id recommend 7.1 rc1

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=18181.0

maybe have a go of that. im at a loss as far as the 7.0 install goes

CMAR606

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:00:29 pm »

on the pre release, would I have to reformat when its officially out?

Christopher
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:25:00 pm »

well that really would depend on your knowledge of linux. you could just do a fresh reformat and install or you could upgrade everything. what ive been doing personally throughout the development of 7.1 (which i also do on all my slackware boxes) is keeping a seperate partition for /home which keeps all my reg user configs so there is no need to go through and customize xfce to my liking all over again, and then before i do a install of a new version i just copy any pertinant config files and so forth (my sshd.conf my ftp servers conf and so forth) from wherever they may be to my /home. that way when i reinstall i DO NOT format my /home partition and i can get my system back up with minimal fuss.

CMAR606

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 05:31:21 pm »

when is 7.1 going to officially be out? Might wait till then.
CMAR606

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 07:39:33 pm »

well that really would depend on your knowledge of linux. you could just do a fresh reformat and install or you could upgrade everything. what ive been doing personally throughout the development of 7.1 (which i also do on all my slackware boxes) is keeping a seperate partition for /home which keeps all my reg user configs so there is no need to go through and customize xfce to my liking all over again, and then before i do a install of a new version i just copy any pertinant config files and so forth (my sshd.conf my ftp servers conf and so forth) from wherever they may be to my /home. that way when i reinstall i DO NOT format my /home partition and i can get my system back up with minimal fuss.

WELL when it comes to slackware... I know nothing.. Starting to dabble in it now I wanted something abit harder than the buntus / debian
So I wouldnt know how to upgrade from a RC to a full stock ready system.

Christopher
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 07:50:49 pm »

In the car metaphor, VL/Slackware is like manual admission and ubuntu is automatic admission. Both drive you to the same destination, only the handling is different.

For easy upgrade in the future, create swap, / and /home partition separately.

http://www.slackware.com/install/partitions.php
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 10:07:43 pm »

CMAR606

Welcome to Vector.  I have been with it more or less since 5.8 or earlier.  In reading your posts, I suspect you will like it quite a lot.  Simply put, its more fun (and more work at first, as you are finding out).

Tried 3 times to install VL just wouldnt budge

I had trouble getting 7.1 RC1 to load via a unebootin-creaded usb stick, so I headed down to Best Buy, bought some CDs, burned the iso to one of them and it loaded fine from the CD.  I would try that before giving up and also, as you are not familiar with VL, I suspect your hunch to go with 7.0 is what you should go with..  Switching to final VL 7.1 when it finally arrives will be a pain, but, as you probably already know and in any event which has been noted, if you partition into 3 (swap, root and home) and don''t reformat /home, you won't have to reload your data and if, as also mentioned, you copy your config files, you can probably save some additional hassle.

There will be more programs in the repositories for 7.0.  

Good luck!

John
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:13:07 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
CMAR606

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 10:35:33 pm »

CMAR606

Welcome to Vector.  I have been with it more or less since 5.8 or earlier.  In reading your posts, I suspect you will like it quite a lot.  Simply put, its more fun (and more work at first, as you are finding out).

Tried 3 times to install VL just wouldnt budge

I had trouble getting 7.1 RC1 to load via a unebootin-creaded usb stick, so I headed down to Best Buy, bought some CDs, burned the iso to one of them and it loaded fine from the CD.  I would try that before giving up and also, as you are not familiar with VL, I suspect your hunch to go with 7.0 is what you should go with..  Switching to final VL 7.1 when it finally arrives will be a pain, but, as you probably already know and in any event which has been noted, if you partition into 3 (swap, root and home) and don''t reformat /home, you won't have to reload your data and if, as also mentioned, you copy your config files, you can probably save some additional hassle.

There will be more programs in the repositories for 7.0.  

Good luck!

John

Thank you! Cant wait to get my hands in VL if I can ever get it to install lol.

What if I dont have a CD rom, the friend kinda built it real fast just has a dummy dead CD ROM in it heh.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 12:12:43 am »

If you really would like to try Vector linux then the first step is understanding your hardware. if you have a fairly new computer it likely employs uefi. or secure boot options. If you installed linux mint to the hard disk then the procedure may be similar. If you dual booted with windows then the procedure may be differant again. perhaps you have a second hd or need to disable secure boot. If the computer is five or six years old then you have a better chance of installing with a few mouse clicks. even ubuntu is not immune to the kleenex boxs that look so great on the table but are full of disposable fluff. Perhaps you are well versed and have discussed this in other threads. just a thought in passing. Best of luck
Cheers

Everything Is Relative
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 02:31:27 am »

the whole unetbootin thing baffles me. i know there are people who can get it to work, however i have never once gotten a bootable usb stick out of it with ANY distro. and it sure wasnt for lack of trying when i finally gave up.

with that being said the official supported method for creating a usb stick from inside linux is the above process. i wrote a how-to on our bitbucket not long ago but i cant find it atm. if anyone with more luck with unetbootin than me would like to do a how-to please feel free. actually we could use a how-to for making a bootable stick from inside windows too but i havent run windows in roughly 10 years so again thats outside of my knowledge

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: