VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Another newbie (sigh)  (Read 759 times)

Xyberbat

Another newbie (sigh)
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:00:16 am »

Greetings to VectorLinux.

I am here because I want to 'upgrade' all my family & household PC's from Windows to Linux.
(I have Win 8.1 and hate it; all 10 other PC's run Win XP 32 or x64, some multi-boot)

In my previous life I used to be a HP-UX sysadmin, so the CLI is no problem for me, but that was a long time ago, and times have changed.

Currently researching my most 'safe' option to enable wife and kids to still use their PC's, but not with MS.Windows.  AND I need to make the transition as painless as possible; ~ no CLI/command promt for them.
I plan to dualboot their PC's to accomodate their off-line Windows games, but all on-line actions via Linux.

So, I am trying out the VLocity 7.0.1.   ~ 1st installation last night went reasonably OK, taking about 55 minutes on a clean PC. However, there are a couple of problems:

1. I cannot create a user (using the GUI), and have to do everything as root.
2. Realtek sound does not work.

Initial impression not bad;  I hope to get this first installation working asap, but there will be a steep learning curve!

Regards.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: Another newbie (sigh)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:47:08 am »

Welcome :)
You are using VLocity 7.1 or 7.0.1?

Xyberbat

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 03:09:34 am »

My Bad  ~  after checking, it seems I installed VL64-7.1-STD-RC1.

I tried VL7.0-STD-GOLD-LIVE first, but that somehow did not want to run on my setup via a CD. ( I suspect the CD, though)

I shall download the VLocity 7.0.1 this weekend and try again.

Thanks for the Welcome.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 04:55:54 am »

I would recommend using the 7.1 RC1 as VL 7.0 maybe kind of out-dated...
But since 7.1 is still in RC stage, pls report your issues at http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=18182.0 and we will try to solve the issue as best as possible...

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:57:41 am »

In addition to using 7.1 RC1, perhaps holding off on the project a bit and waiting for 7.1 SOHO would be the best solution for your family members. This would offer a more robust solution to those that are used to a Windows environment.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz