VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 08:38:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about trying the beta again  (Read 228 times)
CMAR606

« on: May 18, 2014, 02:28:05 pm »

I know R3 beta is out.... But my issue is I have XUBUNTU on here my current working OS....

I know the installer gives you the choice of LILO or GRUB.. So as long as I was to put GRUB i'd be ok and be able to boot into either one if one or the other breaks?

Christopher
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:44:06 pm »

7.1 Standard is up to RC2. Yes, the installer is designed to give you a choice of grub or lilo. Or none, so you can skip the boot loader, then boot to Xubuntu and re-run its "update-grub". That should add VL to your existing boot menu.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:17:59 am »

Both should detect your current OS as long as you dont overwrite it.  If you use advanced mode in the installer you can pick which bootloader to use (automatic uses grub2 by default.) or skip the bootloader installation entirely and as pointed out by Nightflyer, you can use your existing xubuntu to boot VL later.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:17:50 am »

And.. a word of caution regarding the "Automatic" mode: it will completely take over the hard drive, wiping out any existing installations. Use "Advanced" if you want to keep existing data on the drive.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: