VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 12:41:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 7 got some issues before primetime  (Read 502 times)
CMAR606

« on: April 19, 2014, 12:06:18 pm »

I am back on LMDE unfortunately.

Issues to be addresses:

* LONGGG BOOT TIMES....  Takes about a min 10 or so to get loaded up to log in screen

* Inconsistent boot up... Sometimes it will boot to the log in screen and sometimes it will stay on the VL 7 static screen and com,e back 5 min later and its still on that screen... Hit ESC and its on a screen with 2 penguins in the left corner and welcome to vector log in:

* Icons dont stay where you put them in XFCE... I can reboot or log out and for me they were all rearranged on their own

Christopher

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:00:32 pm »

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Vector install but you may take some comfort in that it could be any distro.

I have Vector installed to three computers and have never had any issue installing Vector to them for the past 4 or 5 releases including the latest.

However I have installed distros with similar issues on my hardware and feel it is not my hardware because it works perfectly well with something else. many times it is a matter of trial and error getting it tweaked just the way you want it.

I do not use desktop icons so can not feel your loss there and if you have been using a computer for any number of years, 60 seconds is really not very long. as for the lag in boot.. using a verbose boot rather than a boot splash will allow you to see what is loading and may help you understand the issue better.
Not much help but think positively
cheers

Everything Is Relative
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:50:45 pm »

Christopher,

VL 7.1 may be worth a look.  I just installed it on a 4.5 year old netbook (specs below in my sig) and I see major improvements over 7.0 in a lot of areas.

Just my .02...
Caitlyn

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
CMAR606

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 01:08:14 am »

Christopher,

VL 7.1 may be worth a look.  I just installed it on a 4.5 year old netbook (specs below in my sig) and I see major improvements over 7.0 in a lot of areas.

Just my .02...
Caitlyn

I thought that was what WIGGIMS gave me the link to? where I was having the long boot times etc....

oh just looked back it was but it was beta 1 of 7,1 though.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=18197.0

oh sorry RC1... not beta..

In RC1 I was having the long boot times, ( which turned out it failed to load up just went to a LOG IN prompt)  and sometimes the log in screen would come up and sometimes wouldnt...

Christopher
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 04:20:14 am »

Nope.  There's an RC2 now.

It sounds like you had an issue with your X configuration.  We can definitely help you troubleshoot that or any other problem that could be causing the issues.  When the GUI load seems to hang you hit the ESC key and it will show you where the issue is.  Boot up time on my netbook is quite fast.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
CMAR606

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:55:11 am »

Nope.  There's an RC2 now.

It sounds like you had an issue with your X configuration.  We can definitely help you troubleshoot that or any other problem that could be causing the issues.  When the GUI load seems to hang you hit the ESC key and it will show you where the issue is.  Boot up time on my netbook is quite fast.

I will def. have to download it again and try it. Cheesy

I know the nvidia drivers instructions kinda scared me Lol it was quite easy in plain debian and in xubuntu
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: