VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 06:42:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XP is dead, long live XP?  (Read 954 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« on: April 24, 2014, 03:02:06 am »

An interesting article from the register about the death and resurrection of Windows XP

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/08/end_of_xp/

It seems to me that this really is a missed opportunity to convert millions of corporate users to Linux.

I work for a large utility company that used to run Windows XP as its main desktop operating system. 
We have migrated to Windows 7 and are currently writing a new interface to interact with SAP for customer accounts and billing.... we aren't using professional programmers I understand just people with some programming skills within the organisation   ( with the predictable variable results).  I have no idea of the cost of the 10,000 licenses for all the MS products we use but if we are investing time (and resources) in building a new interface to interact with SAP wouldn't it have made some sense to change over to a non propitiatory software solution?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:29 am »

Interesting thought. From your references it does not appear that
anyone looked a real alternatives. I find that many management
types demand (from knowing nothing else) Outlook and MS Office.

MS Office has some things that work well. Esp if large spreadsheets and
access databases are involved.

There is more to the cost than the license, retraining, new support systems
and equipment add up quickly.

It takes time to study a problem for the appropriate solution. There are
too many people that do not or can not look at the best solution for the
problem. Most also are expected to make something work vs the best
solution.

After seeing alot of botched upgrades from OS or Vendor lockin, I am
amazed that the systems work at all.

Bigpaws
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 05:13:34 pm »

I thought there was a good opportunity when Vista bombed, but nothing really changed. People will use what they buy at Best Buy/Staples/Dell/Wal-Mart/Apple Store.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:52:53 pm »

I think now is a good time for VL 7.1 final.  Folks are more likely to change from XP to 7.1 than from XP to 7.0.  And, though its likely heresy, I think we need to look at the "linux-is-free" thing as both an advantage and a liability.  I had someone tell me the other day that gnucash couldn't be all that great because "you get what you pay for."  If Vector had an option allowing users, when downloading, to sign up for paid support from some of the folks on this list and if that support was rapid and effective, I think more might make the switch.  I think this particularly true if there were various classes of support, with a fee associated with each class.  For example, there could be support for VL with an annual fee, and support for Lyx, support for etm(tk), support for kmail, etc (as to all the main vector programs) on a per call or per incident basis. Vector could set it up its web page ahead of time by allowing a cash deposit or providing use of a credit card.  This would be a lot of work and might not pan out, but someone(s) with the appropriate skills and sufficient time might do pretty well and, if not, he would be no worse off than he would be if the effort wasn't made.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 05:37:55 am »

You mean like this support:
http://vectorlinux.com/support

Vector has been offering this support since 2008.
All of the members of the support team belong to
the forum.

The last support request was in 2012.

For 2012 there were 5 support tickets generated.

For 2013 no support requests.

In private contacts for SLA type support there have 2
conversations. Those never got past the exploratory phase.

Bigpaws.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 06:47:17 am »

You mean like this support:
http://vectorlinux.com/support

I suppose.  Thanks. That I am completely ignorant on a subject has never, in and of itself, kept me from spouting off.  VL's paid support option seems like a great service.  I just signed up for it. Though I don't have any current issues, I would like to have it handy in case once comes up.  Members of my staff would perhaps be in need more than I.  I can see where keeping track of the matter would be a pain. 

My gut tells me that Vector might just "sell" one version of vl 7.1 for $100, which is identical to the free version except it comes with a year's support on Vector (only) issues (not, say, lyx or gnumeric issues). There are quite a few middle aged men here in reno who have been coming to our cigar club (a nerd club which gives away linux computers to kids) not for the purpose of helping with our project, but rather with the hope that one of us will convert their xp machine to linux.     

As with many others, I see some kind of an opportunity here but don't really know how Vector can exploit it. I know that VL puts out a great product and  I know that the nerds i our cigar lions club do not have the time to hold hands with these fellows who are trying to convert to linux.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:33:31 pm »

To add to XP's demise is the addition of the first critical update it will not receive.

Interesting that one would most likely require the use of internet explorer to download an alternative.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/tech-news/microsoft-rushes-to-fix-internet-explorer-after-attacks/article18297817/

Everything Is Relative
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 04:45:12 am »

My niece has been working in a computer repair shop for a few weeks, they have had loads of (mainly elderly) customers  coming in asking about new computers because "XP will stop working" when support is withdrawn.  The shop has advised them that it will not stop working just that they should be careful what they look at on the internet and make sure their anti spyware and anti virus software is up to date.  No one is looking to move away from Microsoft as they all seem to think that is the only Operating System on the market, indeed my niece questioned some who were under the impression that the computer was invented by "Windows".....

My own take is that its massively wasteful of large companies to rely on Microsoft, my own utility company uses off shore system support at around £14 per call to fix problems, which I tend to report 3 - 4 times a week to them, and I am fairly average.  Surely it must be worth their while to employ people directly to maintain their own software on Open Source machines?  I guess that I haven't factored in the extent of industrial inertia.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 06:11:12 am »

Companies rarely look at the long term savings when deciding what to use. The bean counters look at the initial cost and rarely look further than that unless there are associated costs to stand up the solution.

For example, back in my military days, our entire network was Netware. Awesome server OS and the associated apps (like GroupWise) were extremely secure. Granted, the OS was pricier than NT back in those days, and the training needed to maintain the network wasn't cheap, either. However, cost of ownership was a third of what an NT network would be.

Some bean counter saw the initial costs and got the powers that be to agree to a total swap out of the network to NT because NT was a fraction of the cost of Netware. So, even after we proved that the total cost of ownership would be triple over what we were currently using, we were forced to make the change. And then they couldn't figure out when the manpower and equipment requests started rolling in why it was so much more expensive than before.

There are times I really, REALLY hate bean counters.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: