Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Puzzling display issue.  (Read 2605 times)

Locator

• Vectorian
Puzzling display issue.
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:28:39 pm »
I have been dealing with a puzzling display issu with Vector Linux 7.0. What has been happening is that I will be working on my computer, and all of a sudden the screen goes blank Any practical assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
Re: Puzzling display issue.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:01:15 pm »
I vote for hardware.
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:27:29 pm »
I have all new hardware, and I had noticed the same problem with my old computer as well (but the same operating system as I am using now).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:28:31 pm by Locator »

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:40:44 pm »
is your mouse idle while you are reading or looking at something? the screen in linux will go blank after about ten minutes by default..in terminal type xset s off and also xset -dpms (energy star features) you can see these options by typing xset in terminal along with others. sometimes setting a screen saver will cancel screen blank but not dpms.

If you have done this already or your your screen goes blank during active use then it may be a refresh issue or an xorg issue, someone with more experience may assist but you should provide more detail of the issue and your vid card details.
Everything Is Relative

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 01:13:59 pm »
My screen doesn't go "blank" in the usual sense of the word, what happens is the screen suddenly displays as a solid color such as white, red, blue, purple, or some other such color, and in the process blocks out all text and/or graphics. and in answer to your questions: I have disabled the screen saver and power saver features.

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:49:08 am »
Like sledgehammer said...

Please post  the make and model of your graphics card.
If you have an nvidia card you may require the proprietary nvidia drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiR8ZAl-Qm0
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:54:20 am by overthere »
Everything Is Relative

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:19:14 am »
My dispay card is a MSI GeForce 210 N210-MD1GD3H/LP 1GB GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 (x16) Low Profile.

Model number - N210-MD1GD3H/LP, and yes, I already have installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 08:11:37 am »
When this happens, how do you recover (key combination, power or reset button, or some other way)?

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 10:27:33 am »
I push the "Reset" button on my computer.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:06:53 am »
That's a tough one. You might want to try running a live session of some other distro and see if it still happens. If so, suspect some hardware issue.

Another thought: looks like a fanless card. Does your case have good ventilation? I've seen machines overheat during normal use, and "fixed" it by removing the cover and having a fan blow on it.

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 10:52:44 am »
My previous video card had a fan, my current one has a heat sink, and the same thing happened with BOTH of them.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:46:09 pm »
Is this a box you have been upgrading along the way? Is there a piece of hardware that always was present when you were having problems?

Almost any component can cause problems. I had one box that had intermittent errors for years. It caused a corruption in the first run of VL Light, forcing a backtrack and recover. In the end it turned out to be a bad power supply.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 05:05:04 am »
Test other drivers and see if it makes any difference. That can help to determine if it is a software or a hardware problem.
For example, if you have an nvidia card, you can try nouveau and vesa.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 04:06:58 pm »
What I m planning on doing in the near future is to upgrade my computer's CPU, as well as the video card drivers to see if that solves the problem.

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 11:14:13 am »
Well, after upgrading my entire computer system, I have started to experience the exact same problem as I was describing before ( the entire screen suddenly turns a solid white, which means that I can't see text and/or graphics on the screen).