VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 07:46:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Puzzling display issue.  (Read 1922 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: May 09, 2014, 07:28:39 pm »

I have been dealing with a puzzling display issu with Vector Linux 7.0. What has been happening is that I will be working on my computer, and all of a sudden the screen goes blank Any practical assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:01:15 pm »

I vote for hardware.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:27:29 pm »

I have all new hardware, and I had noticed the same problem with my old computer as well (but the same operating system as I am using now).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:28:31 pm by Locator » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:40:44 pm »

is your mouse idle while you are reading or looking at something? the screen in linux will go blank after about ten minutes by default..in terminal type xset s off and also xset -dpms (energy star features) you can see these options by typing xset in terminal along with others. sometimes setting a screen saver will cancel screen blank but not dpms.

If you have done this already or your your screen goes blank during active use then it may be a refresh issue or an xorg issue, someone with more experience may assist but you should provide more detail of the issue and your vid card details.

Everything Is Relative
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 01:13:59 pm »

My screen doesn't go "blank" in the usual sense of the word, what happens is the screen suddenly displays as a solid color such as white, red, blue, purple, or some other such color, and in the process blocks out all text and/or graphics. and in answer to your questions: I have disabled the screen saver and power saver features.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:49:08 am »

Like sledgehammer said...

Please post  the make and model of your graphics card.
If you have an nvidia card you may require the proprietary nvidia drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiR8ZAl-Qm0
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:54:20 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:19:14 am »

My dispay card is a MSI GeForce 210 N210-MD1GD3H/LP 1GB GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 (x16) Low Profile.

Model number - N210-MD1GD3H/LP, and yes, I already have installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 08:11:37 am »

When this happens, how do you recover (key combination, power or reset button, or some other way)?
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 10:27:33 am »

I push the "Reset" button on my computer.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:06:53 am »

That's a tough one. You might want to try running a live session of some other distro and see if it still happens. If so, suspect some hardware issue.

Another thought: looks like a fanless card. Does your case have good ventilation? I've seen machines overheat during normal use, and "fixed" it by removing the cover and having a fan blow on it.
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 10:52:44 am »

My previous video card had a fan, my current one has a heat sink, and the same thing happened with BOTH of them.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:46:09 pm »

Is this a box you have been upgrading along the way? Is there a piece of hardware that always was present when you were having problems?

Almost any component can cause problems. I had one box that had intermittent errors for years. It caused a corruption in the first run of VL Light, forcing a backtrack and recover. In the end it turned out to be a bad power supply.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 05:05:04 am »

Test other drivers and see if it makes any difference. That can help to determine if it is a software or a hardware problem.
For example, if you have an nvidia card, you can try nouveau and vesa.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 04:06:58 pm »

What I m planning on doing in the near future is to upgrade my computer's CPU, as well as the video card drivers to see if that solves the problem.
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 11:14:13 am »

Well, after upgrading my entire computer system, I have started to experience the exact same problem as I was describing before ( the entire screen suddenly turns a solid white, which means that I can't see text and/or graphics on the screen).
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: