VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 05:15:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-7.1-LIGHT  (Read 4940 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 02:33:35 pm »

Pita, thank you for that feedback. This ISO was created right after a rebuild of the untested repository, looks like we still have some kinks to work out there.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 04:42:51 pm »

Pita, thank you for that feedback. This ISO was created right after a rebuild of the untested repository, looks like we still have some kinks to work out there.

I saw quite a few wrong symlinks in /usr/lib. I will correct that and most likely
then brasero and sylpheed will open.

Stay tuned Wink

Worked only for Brasero.

Reinstalled sylpheed and netsurf. Both are now opening.  Cheesy

Logout Menu now working with restart and  shutdown. Logout always worked.  Grin

Reinstalling pnmixer would not change error, not openng.  Sad

Can't find now any further faults.   Smiley  

Just installed midori-0.5.8 and it crashes when clicking on "Edit" on menu bar. This happens as well in Salix-14.1 for which reason I reinstalled
midori-0.5.7. The drawback with that version, spellchecker is not working.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:13:56 pm by Pita » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 05:06:23 am »

Midori works good for me except for the icons on the browser tabs. 

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 07:52:45 pm »

Since I am no fan of midori I removed it. Just wanted to check if it crashes. And it does in 32bit.

However, Netsurf crashes as well:

Edit > Prefrences > Network > Crash 
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 04:49:33 am »

pnmixer Error
Could not bind the following hotkeys:
 XF86AudioMute
 XF86AudioRaiseVolume
 XF86AudioLowerVolume

Got it.. pnmixer is already running, as indicated by a speaker icon in the notification area. It should be started only once, from the startup script. Think I'll just remove the menu icon.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2014, 08:00:12 pm »

Midori works good for me except for the icons on the browser tabs. 

Just made in installation of midori-0.5.8 in distro Slackel and it crashes
when cicking on 'Edit' on the mebubar.

So 0.5.8 crashes, 0.5.7 spellchecker not working remains stable 0.5.5
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 08:09:46 pm »

pnmixer Error
Could not bind the following hotkeys:
 XF86AudioMute
 XF86AudioRaiseVolume
 XF86AudioLowerVolume

Got it.. pnmixer is already running, as indicated by a speaker icon in the notification area. It should be started only once, from the startup script. Think I'll just remove the menu icon.

I removed the menu icon. Removed as well gimp, samba and exaile since I do not use
those programs.

To me this VL-Light-7.1 is final. Furnishing the house now to my taste
like adding joe, xv, xpaint as well as my /usr/local partition where i have
dillo and other for me valuable programs. Fluxbox is running great with
my menu from present working distro.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 05:30:46 pm »

The A0.2 ISOs have been cleaned up and rebuilt. If you want to check one out, find them here:
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/iso/VL-7.1-LIGHT-A0.2.iso md5sum be6785167e9179372765b742cffecdc6
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/iso/VL64-7.1-LIGHT-A0.2.iso md5sum 7a43cefc2ff7e6c400b01000487a25c9

Main changes: Removed netsurf, vcpufreq, gambas2-runtime, qt3, exaile, fluxbox, pnmixer menu entry.
Made separate IceWM entry for building menu and added option to have it created on every login.
Entry for optical drives in fstab (for brasero's benefit).
Sylpheed now works in my tests.

If things turn out to work okay, next step is to tweak package selection further. Midori or netsurf may replace firefox. Mtpaint instead of gimp. Xsane.. maybe not. Hexchat or Pidgin? Xscreensaver.. maybe for screen locking? Abiword and Gnumeric?
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 03:36:15 am »

How light are we aiming?  Is it going to be like the last light with a range of light desktops and appropriate tools or just sticking to IceWM?  If so the Abiword and Gnumeric would be good, if we are going more then maybe Ted and SIAG? 
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 05:34:44 am »

Not as light as before, and IceWM only.

The previous version was hand built, with shameless hacks to the text installer and liberties taken with respect to system configuration. This allowed you to install it on low end computers, but also created confusion and inconsistencies. This time the aim is compatibility with Standard, using the same installer and automated build system.

A better name might be just "IceWM Edition", but since Light is already established, we'll go with that. Target audience is previous IceWM users, and those who want full manual control over their UI.
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 10:16:43 am »

for what its worth i have problems with midori regardless of which distrobution its on. it would be nice if the damn thing ever worked right

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2014, 12:44:20 am »

Thanks for the clarification, as you know I am a fan of IceWM and think we have had very slick implementations of it. interesting you are doing both 32 and 64 bit versions.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 03:43:37 am »

for what its worth i have problems with midori regardless of which distrobution its on. it would be nice if the damn thing ever worked right

Have to agree with you there. Finally got it looking okay by tweaking the icon themes, but trying to use it is frustrating. Have yet to figure out how to make the search field work. And what's with the current browser disease of forcing you to display the tab bar at all times?

If we can fix Netsurf so it doesn't crash when you click Edit > Preferences > Network, it will be the default.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2014, 03:55:51 am »

Thanks for the clarification, as you know I am a fan of IceWM and think we have had very slick implementations of it. interesting you are doing both 32 and 64 bit versions.

With the autmatic build system, there is very little additional effort in doing both versions.  Grin

BTW, the icewmvmods package will now install on STD and pull in deps to create the "Light" environment. Note that you get wicd with it, so you'd need to uninstall NetworkManager. Reason for going with wicd: it is smaller, and I had problems with the nm-applet display in the icewm notification area.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2014, 05:36:20 pm »

I have a new package of midor from http://salix.hostingxtreme.com/i486/14.1/salix/xap/
and it seems to work well now.

Today
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/iso/
does not open so I cannot download new A02 version.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: