VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 05:02:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Shockwave Flashplayer please?  (Read 550 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: May 19, 2014, 04:07:18 pm »

What is the Linux equivalent of Shockwave Flash player, and where can I get it?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 04:30:49 pm »

Look for flashplugin or flashplugin-installer. VL comes with it pre-installed.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:08:15 pm »

If you're looking to play a stand-alone Flash file, point your browser to it. The browser should load the player to handle it.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC3.1, icewmvmods
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 05:36:24 pm »

Look for flashplugin or flashplugin-installer. VL comes with it pre-installed.

But it's not the latest one, as per the result I got when I went to play a You Tube video just now (see result below):

So What do you suggest?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:26:36 am »

Only way I know of to get the latest flash version, natively, in Linux is to use Google Chrome.
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:18:17 pm »

yea sadly the only current flashplayer option for linux is google chrome (not sure about chromium)
however for firefox i use "youtube all html5" addon and it works flawlessly

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-all-html5/?src=api

there is also a program called "youtube-viewer" that streams youtube through mplayer and last i checked VLC also streams youtube

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:00:51 am »

There are two reasons flashplugin might be detected as outdated:
  The file or site asks for features not present in the 11.2 series. Nothing can be done to use flashplugin for those.
     ------ or -------
  The site or your browser has detected an old, vulnerable version of flashplugin and has disabled it.
     "Old" here can mean "came out three days ago" in the current secruity environment.
      11.2.x still gets security upgrades, and updating it can help with this second case.

Flashplugin security upgrades are extremely frequent now; next to impossible for packagers to keep up with. It's still best to use packages from our repos, but if you need a flashplugin update sooner than that, here's one way:
Code:
user:$ mkdir -p flashplugin/src
user:$ cd flashplugin/src
user:$ cp /usr/doc/flashplugin-<TAB>/flashplugin.SlackBuild ./      # /usr/doc/flashplugin/11.2.202.356/flashplugin.SlackBuild  for example
user:$ su -lm
root:# VERSION=11.2.202.425  sh ./flashplugin.SlackBuild   # visit https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/  to see the latest version number for linux
Running the SlackBuild script will fetch the plugin and package it up. You'll need to be connected for the above, of course.

Once it's packaged, install the package:
Code:
root:# installpkg ../flashplugin-<TAB>   # such as ../flashplugin-11.2.202.425-i586-1vl71.txz

Now restart your browser and try that site again.

@Locator
This issue is very irritating for everyone using a linux and wishing to play flash files. Asking about it here? Cool. Cranking up several threads on it, crossposting, and tagging on to old threads? Rude.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC3.1, icewmvmods
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:41:30 pm »

Sorry about that Sad. I guess I just need to be more patient.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: