VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: F keys aren't working on 7.0 64-bit  (Read 806 times)

User9

F keys aren't working on 7.0 64-bit
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:50:58 pm »

It's installed on an HP G62 laptop and it has extra keys on the left which I assume are internet keys.  USB keyboard F keys function, and I've tried the HP layouts in the keyboard layout list, and even tried some that weren't HP.  Any help for this?  Thanks. 

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: F keys aren't working on 7.0 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:37:24 am »

Those extra keys probably use non-standard coding. You would need to create your own keymap that specifies the action of each key. You can use the program "xmodmap", or see if your window manager has a built-in function to do so. For example, in IceWM, I'd use the program "xev" to see what code each key produces, then enter the result and desired action in the ~/.icewm/keys file.

User9

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 07:18:39 am »

Well I gave the description of the keys on the left to describe that the keyboard has extra keys, but it's the actual function keys, (F1-F12), that aren't working.  Sorry should have been clearer. 

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 06:30:50 pm »

Understand. Try using "xev" and see what happens when you press the keys.