VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 03:05:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Supported programming languages  (Read 418 times)
liom

« on: June 23, 2014, 06:51:13 am »

Hi I'm trying to set up an old (Celeron 600, 192mb ram) laptop for my daughters to learn how to program with. Is there an easily accessible list of editors, IDE's and language compilers provided in the distro repositories? In particular I'm looking for learner friendly script-like languages (not java for example Smiley )
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:25:53 am »

We do have a bunch of development tools available.  Perhaps it's better for you to tell us which direction you'd like to go in, and go from there.  In the odd scenario that we dont currently have the tools you need, they can be easily added to the repositories.

FWIW, if you're looking for script-like languages, those normally dont require an IDE themselves... just a text editor and their compilers.

liom

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 07:51:15 am »

What I mean by an IDE is something that lets the kids code and click on "run". I'm starting out so I don't want them to have to learn how to use a linux terminal compiler as the first step Smiley

I'm hoping to start with something like scratch to get them interested and move to something like python or groovy. Scripting language is probably incorrect, I mean something without all the syntax drudgery that made learning java for me very difficult.Examples that spring to mind (pun definitely not intended) would be ruby, python, groovy, html5, javascript.

Thanks,
L
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:24 am »

You might try Geany.  It's very flexible and supports lots of languages.  Does syntax highlighting and code folding very well.  Bluefish is another app that comes to mind for languages you describe.

HTH

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »

Hi there,

What Vector version are you using?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joncho

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:46:10 pm »

What about Python + Geany? I think Python is part of Vector default setup (not 100% sure).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: