Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Setting up a clean local build environment  (Read 122 times)

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
Setting up a clean local build environment
« on: September 11, 2015, 04:30:17 pm »

I need an extremely lightweight setup for this. I'll only be able to build 32-bit, so allowing for additonal arches isn't an issue -- that'll have to be tested elsewhere. Of course, I'll still need to use network and have access to our SlackBuild repositories. Just for 7.1 (installed) for now; others can come later.

VL 7.1 Light

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Setting up a clean local build environment
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 07:05:19 am »

Not exactly "extremely light-weight", but the easiest way to do this would be with docker.

Docker runs on 7.1 out of the box.

Our docker documentation explains how to get it setup and running.  Here is that doc

After your docker daemon is up and running, You will need to download this image

then import it into docker
Code: [Select]
cat VL-7.1-BB-FINAL_vlbb-docker.tar.xz | docker import - vector:7.1-bbafter that, you can enter the clean build environment as many times as you want

To get a new clean environment:
docker run -ti vector:7.1-bb /bin/bash
if you want to save any of the data from inside that container to the host OS, mount a volume in your docker run command
docker run -ti -v /home/your-docker-work:/data vector:7.1-bb /bin/bashThis will create a bind mount between the host and the docker container.  All the data you place in /data will be saved back to the host, that way when you exit the container, the data you want to keep is kept.

see "docker help run" for more, especially, you may want to consider adding the "--rm" argument to docker run for automatic clean up.

* Everything is disposable in docker, so the data you want to keep you have to bind mount from and to the host (as above)
* You only need to deploy the image once, after that you can create as many containers as you want.

Like I said,
Not exactly "extremely light-weight", but it is as light-weight as it gets in 7.1