VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 08:58:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying Linux Again  (Read 739 times)
daftslacker

« on: August 22, 2014, 07:01:40 pm »

Greetings.

I've just started trying out VL 7 standard edition on a Intel P4 based system. I first tried the live CD, and VL looked really nice, so I installed it. This is only the second distro I've tried. The first was Debian potato back in the first years of the millenium. I also bought a copy of LINUX: The Complete Reference 7th Edition since I was totally new to Linux back then. That distro took a lot of work to get up and running, and it worked for a few years on a really old machine that came with Win 3.1. Then when the X server suddenly refused to run anymore, I switched to Win2K with another computer. A few years ago a friend showed me Ubuntu and I thought it was really cool, but I didn't have a computer that wasn't too old to run it. I intend for Win2K to be the last version of MS Windows that I'll ever use, so I'm trying Linux again. I also used a PowerMac G4 some in the last few years and really liked it, so the cairo dock and leopardish themes probably also attracted me. VL was easy to install and set up, and there were only a few minor issues to getting it running. I also want to try wine and see how much of the software I've been using on the win2k box will run on Linux.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:30:04 pm »

Welcome, daftslacker.

Sounds to me like you will enjoy your stay here, the more so the less you try to use wine.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:13:40 am »

Welcome to the forum.

I still have an install of W2K on my laptop, but haven't used it in over a year. Time to let it go.
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 04:53:14 pm »

i think you'll also find, the more you use linux, that there are a plethera of applications and software options to meet your needs. and if there is something youd like that we dont already have in the package repositories just ask

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
daftslacker

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:19:33 am »

Thanks for the welcome.

Indeed I'll only try to use apps under wine as a last resort. I've got some manufacturer-supplied software for updating firmware, or programming or configuring devices that are only supplied as windows versions. It may be necessary to keep an installation of windows for that purpose.

I had forgotten that I had also tried Red Hat Linux 7. What I hated about that distro was that the package management software would complain about unmet dependencies, but apparently had no facility to automatically resolve them. I tried to manually, but whenever I tried to install a package required by the first, then that package required even more packages and so on, and I got too frustrated and gave up. No issues so far with gslapt.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:35:12 am by daftslacker » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:51:01 pm »

daftslacker

You might post your programs that require windows. Someone here might know of a linux alternative.  For example, I kept a windows machine going at the office for a year or so after I took up Vector (I think it was ver. 5.Cool as we were using quickbooks, which, at the time at least, required windows.  Then someone told me about gnucash.  A couple of months after making that switch, my bookkeeper told me that gnucash beats quickbooks hands down.  We have been completely gatesfree, probably for over 10 years now.  We switched after learning the disgusting way Microsoft leveraged its OS to knock WordPerfect out of the driver's seat, or perhaps the even more disgusting way that George Bush the younger maneuvered the anti-trust laws to prevent Microsoft's dismemberment. So long ago that I can't remember.  Becoming gatesfree became an imperative.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 07:45:06 pm »

As for firmware, you should always check for versions of the update available on bootdisk -- even if (especially if) Windows continues to be your main-use OS. Doing these updates from a "known environment" is a much better idea. Most of the vendors used to tell you so, but I doubt they take the trouble now.

Another warning about device updates from vendors who have a preferred OS: Installing their update that requires (or maybe doesn't say it requires) a specific OS-version is likely to break the device for other versions of the same OS, and almost certainly break it for most OSes. You've probably found this out already, maybe the hard way. Linux has a history of, by necessity, working around much of that, but don't count on that unless you must.

Around here, package dependencies are resolved before the package is built for upload to the repos. It does happen that we still have some packages that complain of unmet dependencies either at install or at runtime. That's a bug. When practical, please be kind enough to mention it.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: