VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 01:52:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ SOLVED ] Windows 2000 compatable graphics cards?  (Read 833 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: August 08, 2014, 07:22:11 am »

What computer graphics cards are compatible with Windows 2000? I ask that because as good as Vector Linux is as an operating system, I have found out by way of experience that it's still not as functional as Windows for certain things that I want to do. Any practical assistance will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:51:10 am by Locator » Logged
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:31:13 am »

ive got a tnt2 32 mb AGP video card ill sell you for $300

Roll Eyes

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:56:13 pm »

So now you're going to use a 14 year old OS that hasn't been supported since 2010?

Do us a favor. When you open up the case to put in the graphics card, remove the network interface card so you can't access the Internet.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:38:31 pm »

Certainly there are devices and apps designed for win 2000 that may not work on future versions of windows or linux.

What you may be asking is are there win 2000 drivers available for my graphics card. the best option is to google win 2000 drivers for the card. ie if you google win 2000 drivers for nvidia you will find this

http://www.nvidia.ca/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

requesting a list of video cards that will work on win 2000 that still have freely available drivers is not likely to achieve results. It is wise to consider that new hardware will be designed with drivers for currently supported operating systems thus it is a gamble finding a driver for a modern system. that said there are still a wide selection of win 2000 video drivers available. manufactures sites will often have archived drivers available but sites like drivers guide will offer the best general selection for outdated systems.

http://www.driverguide.com/

Everything Is Relative
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:10:42 am »

Hey, Locater,...

I have an old PIII I keep around for the grandkids when they come.  It's running W2Kpro,...since I have dozens and dozens (or more) old dos and windows games on it for the kids.  I'm running an old Nvidia in it (can't think exactly which one just now).  But I had the old driver on a CD for it.   I think a lot of the older 2-dimension cards will work fine with W2k (like Matrox Millinium).  That's one of the old cards that I had in it, before I added the Nvidia.  (Got my Nvidia off of Ebay).

Yeah,...I use Vector for all the important stuff on my main computer,...but for all those old dos and windows games for the grandkids, I use an older windows.  Got wine on the Vector box, and can run some nice win games on it for the kids, as well.

EDIT:  The Nvidia card I have in the PIII W2k box is a ...Geforce4 Mx 440  AGP8x.  Had to use an older driver for it.  But it works really well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:31:43 am by nitehawk » Logged
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 11:50:37 am »

Never mind. I found an Nvidia 7600GT graphics card by ASUS on eBay for about $14.00 on eBay. But aside from that, I thought that this forum was supposed to help us, NOT belittle us.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 04:03:24 pm »

Using a 14 year old Microsoft product that hasn't seen an update in 4 years is beyond dumb. Especially if it's connected to the Internet. At that point, you're an unacceptable risk that should know better.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 04:15:04 pm »

YOU, what ever you are, always post vague generalized statements and say help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. you  appear to have no respect for yourself or anyone else and expect professional detailed polite answers to questions you are sending telepathically. It may help to actually read the responses you receive. and say thanks once and a while. Who is BELITTLEing who.

just one response provided a link that provided a list of every nvidia card supported by nvidia and drivers for it

http://www.nvidia.ca/object/81.85_winxp_32_supported

or a list of currently available drivers for any card you may find for any purpose. it was evidently not GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Your thinking right now that you were not asking for a driver, you ask for cards compatible with 2000. kiss mine and expect no more

Everything Is Relative
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 05:08:04 pm »

right on!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:39:17 pm »

Thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: