VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 10:41:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: webcam in MacBook with VL 7.0 Standard and KDE  (Read 472 times)
vvucic
Packager
Vectorite

« on: September 29, 2014, 11:36:03 pm »

Hello,

I installed VL 7.0 Standard on MacBook.  everything works fine, but some things are glitchy.  How to set up my webcam on my MacBook?
Thanks,

Veki
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:10 am »

Hi Veki,

This should be a driver issue. Whats the model of the webcam? Most of them use one of two drivers: uvcvideo and gspca. IIRC both made it to the kernel.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
vvucic
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 07:57:27 am »

Hello, I guess that it is driver issue. Actually, there is no /dev/video at all.ot know which webcam it use. Is there any detection utility which can help in that?
To be honest I do n

Thanks,

veki
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 08:12:20 am »

This should be a driver issue. Whats the model of the webcam? Most of them use one of two drivers: uvcvideo and gspca.
Actually, usbvideo is pretty popular as well.

Is there any detection utility which can help in that?
It's probably (internally) connected by USB. If you open a terminal and run the command 'lsusb' you will get a list of USB-devices connected to your computer.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:51:48 am »

Hi Veki, I think we spoke over IRC, but for the record:

* The MacBook iSight camera requires a firmware
* You need to get it from Apple and extract it using the isight tools from the repository

These detailed instructions in the Ubuntu wiki look useful: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleiSight?action=show&redirect=AppleiSight

Please post back if you find issues, the isight firmware tools are in the untested repos, thanks to Wigums

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
vvucic
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:26:45 am »

I do not have Apple partitionn so I cannot extract firmware. It is not double boot machine.
when I do lsusb I got the following info related to webcam
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05ac:8300 Apple, Inc. Built-in iSight (no firmware loaded).

I tried to find isght in VL repos but I could not find it.

Please advise how to get firmware and where to put it.

Thanks.

veki

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 04:49:51 am »

Hi Veki,

The firmware is privative, you will have to get it from Apple or somewhere else, we cant distribute it. Google "AppleUSBVideoSupport" which is the file you need for extracting the firmware.

--
Jumalauta!!
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:03:04 am »

isight-firmware-tools has been packaged

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: