VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 07:48:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: excellent article  (Read 643 times)
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« on: August 25, 2014, 02:21:48 pm »

http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/choose-your-side-the-linux-divide-248950?page=0,0

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 07:04:36 pm »

Interesting.  It would seem that from several of the comments that the "unknowness" (is that a real word?) of systemd (lack of documentation and logging) creates much of the concern.  Linux people like to (at least think they) know what's going on with their OS.  There are others (perhaps like me) who, at least to a certain point, are accepting of what the distro developers roll out.  But who am I to "pick a side" since I live in a blended house: a ClearOS server, a Windows Home Server, several Windows 8.x desktops, a Vector desktop, a WinXP desktop, a few Android tablets, an Android phone, an iPhone, and several iPods.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 04:32:18 am »

"We fear the unknown."  "Rather the devil you know, than the one you don't." I'm sure there are more old sayings that could be applied.

I think it is good that there is spirited discussion about big changes like these. It helps things get sorted out. And I believe that things will get sorted out. Looking back at some the things I used to worry about:
- Windows registry as a single point of failure causing widespread chaos: Nope, it seems to be resilient enough.
- W2K raw sockets overwhelming the Internet: Never heard about it being exploited.
- Pulseaudio hogging resources and dragging down my system: Nah, it works well and gives me access to more features of my sound system.
- KDE4: It took years, but now it is good. And there were plenty of alternatives all along.

commiecam

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:16 am »

This is an excellent article!  I make no claims to Unix-Guru-Hood and though I have been a sysop/lanmgr/ISSO working first with HP's RTE and since 1989 with Unix and similar systems (HP-UX,QNX2,4,and 6, Ultrix, Tru64, BSD). These days I am best considered a user more than a sysop or lan manager, sticking pretty much to Linux on my home machines. 

In 1993 I was running QNX2 when I downloaded Linux kernel 0.93.  Both were a joy when compared to the DOS/Windows of the day and through Yggdrasil, early Red Hat and other versions I was very happy.  I began to get upset when I got to Ubuntu 10.04 and since then the world has slowed down.  Now I find myself running fast machines slowly, and with bugs appearing and disappearing at a whim.  Bloatware describes the situation perfectly, as very strange egomaniac developers attempt to outdo each other with their equivalent of wheel spinners, tail-fins and multi-kilowatt sound systems all weighing down encumbering what had been, and still should be the software equivalent of an Alfa Romeo Giulietta in a world of obsolete three ton land yachts powered by cast iron truck engines. (aka Windows)

I for one, while admitting that I am far from a mover or a shaker in this business, will keep my own systems clean, spare and simple.  That is why I am running XFCE instead of GNOME or KDE and why I am looking even to eliminate XFCE.  There was a line that I read some time ago about the fact that software is getting slower more rapidly than systems are getting faster.  My suggestion to developers is that they look at the basic principles of Unix, and then that they learn to actually use assembly language and plain old "C", and that they optimise every bit of code.  I know it's slow and it's hard work.  But from my point of view the alternative to writing, debugging and optimising tight code is to be considerer the geek equivalent of Charlie the Tuna.

Sorry for the rant, but I am looking more and more at DSL and Puppy Linux as just about the only people who get the idea anymore.  When a modern 64 bit system which can run faster than a twenty year old Cray starts to bog down because of its operating system and its windowing software, something is terribly wrong.

Ed
webmouse

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 03:15:48 pm »

I don't understand the way they develop "modern" os's like you. I've seen projects running a harddisk via a IDE interface and internet on a 8 bit MSX computer, and yes that works, not fast. Why does a quadcore i7 take almost 10 minutes to start Windows 7 or Ubuntu 14.04 in 5 minutes before I can start to be productive... I don't get it, what went wrong developing these?

On my work I live with it, at home it's a different story, I like to keep things minimal. LXDE is my choise as a graphical environment. My main system is a 6 year old Packerd Bell netbook, with LXDE still a snappy and good system. Starts in 30 seconds and uses 130 mb memory (still to mutch I think) I even do some movie editing on it with Flowblade. In my home projects I use php cli instead of the mono framework, sqlite instead of mysql and lighthttp instead of apache. Keep it simple, keep it small and efficient.

NetBook: VL7 Light
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: