VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: New to VL  (Read 2941 times)

rayleiter

New to VL
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:09:41 am »

Hello;
I was advised to try Vector Linux on the older laptops I resurrect to give away to those who express an interest in learning Linux.
The current laptop is a Dell C600 with 256 MB ram and a 40 Gig HD. (I will upgrade ram to 515 MB).
I use a Linksys WPC11 ver. 3 PCMCIA network adapter.

I was slightly disappointed that VL 7.0 STD didn't automatically recognize the network card like Linux Mint 12 did.

But I went forward anyway thinking I'd find a 'HowTo' doc of some kind that would explain it all.

I found a 'HowTo' (of sorts), written by 'easuter', I think!

At first I thought "This is it -- I'm home free!".
But, after reading the document several times, as well as the comments by others regarding the 'HowTo', I think the document is too far out of date and has too many errors to be very useful.
So, I'm back to looking for some kind of "HowTo' for getting the network adapter working under VL 7.0 STD GOLD!

Just to give one example of the errors in the document: In STEP 2, the claim is made that if your adapter is PCI, CardBus/PCMCIA, you should issue the 'lspci' command.
I can't see how it would be possible for the 'lspci' command to show anything on the PCMCIA interface -- it shows things on the PCI bus!

There are other errors as well, like the location of the modprobe.conf file being in /etc rather than /etc/modprobe.d!

I wonder if this document is currently in revision?

bigpaws

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: New to VL
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:52:51 am »

Your pcmcia slot will more than likely need to be enabled. Iirc is not started anymore.

In vasm services section look for pcmcia.

The easiest for me is as root in a console type this:

chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia

Then /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start

When you reboot the service will start automatically.

After that you can look at lspcmcia for the card and go from there.

I think that after pcmcia is started you will have your card recognized.

HTH

Bigpaws

rayleiter

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:52:03 pm »

Thanks for your reply, but its a little more involved than just starting the pcmcia slot.

I did find the script was not executable, so I did the chmod and ran the script.

After rebooting, I did the 'lspcmcia' and there was no driver associated with the card.

The whole process is deeply flawed and could use a thorough explanation.

Experiences like this are one of the main reasons why more people don't use Linux.

Luckily, I have a very high tolerance for imprecision and vagueness, otherwise I would have abandoned Linux after my initial experience when the kernel was version 0.9!

You didn't comment on my remarks about the 'HowTo' being out of date -- are you familiar with the document I referred to?
Do you know if it is in revision? Do you know of a similar, better written document?

Thanks again -- Ray

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 07:20:18 am »

After rebooting, I did the 'lspcmcia' and there was no driver associated with the card.

Please post the make and model of your card, and the output of running lsmod in the terminal.

You didn't comment on my remarks about the 'HowTo' being out of date -- are you familiar with the document I referred to?
Do you know if it is in revision? Do you know of a similar, better written document?

Thanks again -- Ray

I am familiar with that document and it is, indeed, old. It was written for VL 5.x iirc. There are no plans for updating it since we expect network cards to work out of the box now, without user intervention. Of course things can still go wrong and we will be happy to help you.

HTH, Rodrigo
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!