VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: How to get HP All in One printers and their features to function correctly.  (Read 1964 times)

Locator

• Vectorian

First of all, you need to go to the following website:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html?

and move your mouse pointer to the left hand side of the screen and click on "Download". on the next screen, click on the "Download Hplip" button which will enable you to save a file called "hplip.3.14.10.run", select the "Save File" option and click "OK". After you have saved that file be sure to transfer it or copy it to you're home directory, then enter terminal mode (be sure to do this as "user" and NOT as "root") and type in sh h[tab-key](which will automatically finish entering the file name for you), then press the Enter key.

At the first prompt select y (for "yes"), then at the second prompt select "c" (for custom installation), the remainder of the prompts SHOULD be self-explanatory. At the last prompt select 'i" (to ignore the restart process). At this point you should see the HP logo in the task bar at the top of the screen, but don't click on it just yet, instead click on the "Menu" tab and go to the "Accessories" sub-menu and select the "HP Device Manager" which is where you can then add you're printer, as well as begin to gain access to it's features. After that, you can THEN right-click on the HP logo on the task bar and take advantage of it.

wigums

does the hplip in the repos not work?

Locator

• Vectorian

No, because what would happen (or more accurately WOULDN'T happen) was that I would go to print something, and nothing would happen, or I would get an error message something to the effect that the printer wasn't responding :(.