Author Topic: VL 7.0 (or any VL) on LVM share  (Read 1546 times)

polaris96

VL 7.0 (or any VL) on LVM share
« on: January 18, 2015, 05:40:13 pm »
Has anybody tried it, yet?

My plan is to rsync a physical partition onto an LVM share after a "normal" install.  This is kind of annoying, but I can't think of a way to reveal LVs to the stock installer.

I anticipate some headaches with creating a new initrd... there usually are when migrating from a normal partition to lvm.

If anybody's been through it, please weigh in.  If not, I'll post any issues I had when the project is finished.

bigpaws

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL 7.0 (or any VL) on LVM share
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 07:33:51 pm »
This link may provide some ideas:

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/README_LVM.TXT

I have not used LVM.  The possibility of data loss is unacceptable for my uses.

Try making the LVM then mounting it. Then you could either use dd or rsync to
move your data.

HTH

Bigpaws

polaris96

Re: VL 7.0 (or any VL) on LVM share
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 04:50:16 pm »
If your storage space is very limited, I understand not using LVM.  I'm a head for it, though.

<RANT>
I started using it a while ago on storage servers because the ability togrow the FS is unsurpassed.  My data was periodically hard-backed, but I also used mirroring and snapshots, both of which are hugely facilitated by LVM.

I used to use dm-raid and chucked that because the raid arrays I use (usually RAID10) can be implemented in LVM without additional abstraction.

I'm done evangelizing, but I do think you'ed like it if you tried it.  The technology is robust and tested at this point.
</RANT>

So, I'm going to first tweak out my system on a "Normal" partition (quotes because it's a usb stick.  Posting a bit on that one soon).  Then, I'll mirror to the LVM share.  Finally, I'll chroot into the share and remake the initrd to include LVM.

...The journey continues...  I'll post more as events eventify