VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Cannot Copy files from windows share and paste into VL  (Read 1070 times)

wahfun

Cannot Copy files from windows share and paste into VL
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:36:28 pm »

It has been a while since I have used VL but I just installed VL 7.1. Love the speed and everything seems to work fine except for working with files located in a windows share. Here's the issue: I cannot copy a file from a windows share and paste it into my /home/downloads folder. When I try to paste, thunar just closes and the file is not copied. All the gvfs, fuse and samba files seem to be installed. I am trying to copy some icons I have stored in the windows share. But cannot copy files either.  RTM'g didn't shed any light on this particular issue neither has google searches.

If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it. I have been a long-time buntu user so my mind is a little fuzzy no doubt.

thx

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Cannot Copy files from windows share and paste into VL
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:07:54 pm »

I've been trying to reproduce this problem.  I'd like to get it solved for sure.  Can you confirm if this only happens when copying from a windows share?  Maybe try copying from a local windows partition.   I tried formatting a partition to ntfs and I was able to read and write to it without a problem.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:00:25 pm »

I would suggest running thunar from command line, and pasting the terminal output after the crash, if any. That may give us a clue about what is going on.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:51:56 am »

Those of you having this issue with thunar, Please enable the 'untested' repository.  Here is the slapt-get line

For 32-bit
Code: [Select]
SOURCE=http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/x86

For 64-bit
SOURCE=http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/x86_64

Then
slapt-get -u
slapt-get --upgrade

Please report if you get better results so the packages can be moved to the stable repositories.

StrayBit

• Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:35:15 am »

Upgraded Thunar per above.  Still died.  Tried again and it worked.
Dell GX280: 7.1-Gold 32 bit
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0