VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VL 7.1 SOHO Feedback and Suggestions  (Read 7524 times)

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
VL 7.1 SOHO Feedback and Suggestions
« on: July 11, 2015, 05:22:56 am »

Post your thoughts and issues here.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL 7.1 SOHO Feedback and Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 07:14:38 am »

B3 32-bit in virtualbox: When booting to TUI, no local echo, you can not see what you are typing.

After some experimentation, I found that not all characters are recognized, it skips about half of them, but not in a predictable manner. Once, I was able to log in by typing "rr"<pause>"oo"<pause>"oo"<pause>"tt"<pause>"Enter", and same treatment for password.

If I manually edit the GRUB commands and remove the last line (initrd), it boots to plain VGA console and works fine, I can see my typing, it is correct, and I can log in.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:10:33 am »

Above behavior duplicated on real hardware. Now, I can switch to another virtual console and log in without problems.

Tried with both the on-board Intel video, and a discrete nVidia card, same result.

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 10:19:23 am »

Try waiting 10-15 seconds for the dhcpd silliness to finish and press Enter to get the login prompt back. Does it work properly then?

crum

• Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 12:34:31 pm »

Trying out SOHO 32 bit on old GatewayP6318 runs 7.1-STD ok,SOHO KDE does not seem to have option for touchpad in settings menu other than that still trying out.

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 01:36:39 am »

not sure what you are looking for but could not resist a look

32bit soho b3 installed easily without issue to my toshiba satellite a100

boots as expected to login screen

login as user to kde desktop (kde start screen background? prior to vector desktop)

1:root terminal from menu ask for password but no resulting root terminal

2:panel wifi shows available networks but selecting one posts disconnected (std final ask for passwrd perhaps not the same process)

user can open terminal and su to root

3:no tap options in mouse settings so had to turn off tapping via: Option "MaxTapTime" "0" added to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf copied from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d via usr terminal after su to root

can logout user

4:login as root gives failsafe terminal..no xclient..xfce, from failsafe terminal can startkde

5:reboot tui boots to login, login as root or user shows no text for name and password but on third try did..perhaps I needed to wait..then login as user and root and exit ok..startkde does not  start kde as in gui mode failsafe terminal

perhaps just me..if so confirm and I will stop not helping.

note have std final installed also and no issue connecting wifi .
can boot std final via grub2 which was found during install of soho

cheers
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:55:27 am by overthere »
Everything Is Relative

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 03:51:07 am »

I noticed the same behavior with Wifi. Right mouse click on the Network Manager icon and edit the connection directly. Should work after that. We'll look into why it's doing that as it tripped me up as well.

crum

• Vectorite
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 09:16:48 am »

@overthere  I have 32 bit SOHO have experienced  Item: 2,3. Item 2 created new wifi was able to get connected,reboot disconnected.Item 3 do you use touchpad? Normally anyway in STD 7.1 FINAL option in setup for touchpad none in SOHO.
I have laptop Gateway P6318 seems as if keyboard has gotten overly sensitive, get intermittent repeat of character have look at screen to be sure it is correct.
Did not experience terminal problem,was asked for password after su.

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 01:24:33 pm »

re 1: I mean from kde menu/applications/utilities/root terminal..prompts password but then nothing...but user terminal can su to root as usual as noted

re 2: Thanks

re 3: Tapping was easy enough to toggle off however it must be done as root, thus #1, and I did not know how to save the changes made to.conf via vim from user terminal sued to root. So finally logged in as root to find failsafe terminal, but startkde allowed kate thus saved by gui.. observations perhaps better left on my finger tips...off to learn the vim command.

Thanks
Everything Is Relative

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 04:58:11 pm »

In doing a little backtracking on the TUI login problem that I'm experiencing, I find I get the same result on VL-7.1 STD.

The last ISO I have that does not have this issue is an "internal only" version of Light (RC1.9), which did not use an initrd when booting to TUI.

Obviously, this is a feature which I have taken for granted for a long time, and not bothered checking.

EDIT: It is only TTY1 that is affected. Other virtual consoles are fine.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:41:28 pm by nightflier »

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 06:42:06 am »

In doing a little backtracking on the TUI login problem that I'm experiencing, I find I get the same result on VL-7.1 STD.

The last ISO I have that does not have this issue is an "internal only" version of Light (RC1.9), which did not use an initrd when booting to TUI.

Obviously, this is a feature which I have taken for granted for a long time, and not bothered checking.

EDIT: It is only TTY1 that is affected. Other virtual consoles are fine.

This has been present for a long time in 7.1.  It came and went a few times.

Normally, if you switch to another tty, you'll be able to log into text mode.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 07:29:04 am »

This has been present for a long time in 7.1.  It came and went a few times.

Thanks to roarde, it's "gone again". Fix in the pipeline, check that one off. :)

crum

• Vectorite
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 08:17:47 am »

SOHO-B3 computer Gateway P6318 nothing magic just basic network connection disconnected every boot,edit connection re-enter pass-phrase sometimes ok other times create new wifi connection. Synclient HorizEdgeScroll=1 ,check in terminal never changes always 0 and horizontal scroll does not work.

Operator error Synclient able to set and get horizontal scroll. ARGH!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:30:56 am by crum »

crum

• Vectorite
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 10:24:56 am »

KDE does not seem to have windowsnap option. I have only one monitor and do look at more than one page at a time,so I find snap useful.

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 01:19:03 pm »

KDE does not seem to have windowsnap option. I have only one monitor and do look at more than one page at a time,so I find snap useful.

Works for me. How are you trying to get it to tile?
Pages: [1] 2