VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Gnash and Lightspark?  (Read 1409 times)

Locator

• Vectorian
Gnash and Lightspark?
« on: July 18, 2015, 05:23:02 pm »

I have been making some inquiries regarding Linux alternatives to replace Flash player, and I have come across references to both Lightspark, and Gnash, so my question therefore is - Will there be packages in the repositories for them, and if so, when?

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Gnash and Lightspark?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 05:25:46 pm »

The official replacement for Flash is going to be HTML5. Flash is nearly dead. It needs to go away, and there's no sense in recreating the wheel for it.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:41:28 am »

It's not nearly dead at all.  There are still tons of websites that require it.  While I do hope developers migrate to HTML5 that isn't happening nearly fast enough. Simply dismissing the question is unfortunate.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VL64 7.1

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

wigums

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 02:28:46 pm »

the answer still does not change though. for flash on linux you have only 2 options. 11.2 flashplayer-plugin or google chrome

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 04:26:14 pm »

In reply to the actual question asked (no idea why I do so):
No.

Several have built Gnash and/or Lightspark locally and discovered they weren't worth the effort of the build, let alone making up and testing a valid package. The main reason is that those who provide Flash so-called content usually check for a specific version of the application provided by The Vendor. So "nothing else will do", when actually in many cases it "would do" if it had the looked-for name.
Robert