VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Vector x64 7.1 Light: Anyone running on embedded systems?  (Read 2034 times)

Rytz

Vector x64 7.1 Light: Anyone running on embedded systems?
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:55:43 am »

Hi:

I'm running VLocity 7.0 on my embedded system but need to upgrade for the kernel updates.  I'm going to try the Light route this time around.  Anyone running Light x64 7.1 on an embedded-type system?  If so, any issues or considerations (other than the mentioned specs).

Thanks.
~ Rytz

wigums

Re: Vector x64 7.1 Light: Anyone running on embedded systems?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 12:23:39 pm »

sounds like a neat project. we're always looking for new spins on vector linux. keep us posted as to your progress.
what type of device is it?

Rytz

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:40:54 pm »

sounds like a neat project. we're always looking for new spins on vector linux. keep us posted as to your progress.
what type of device is it?
Actually, embedded system isn't really the right phrase.  More like embedded desktop or embedded linux since it's still serving multimedia and not running under a parent system.

I was originally going to use FreeBSD on a Raspberry Pi project but was considering VL Light 7.1 .  Vector has always been good to me in terms of functionality and stability but I wanted to some experience with other distros and flavors.

Could you comment on the minimum space required for a Light install?

The products page mention size for a "full install":
1.8GB hard drive space for full system

My system would not require X and I'm guessing a lot of libraries could be removed.  Hard to say without doing testing though.
~ Rytz

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »

Raspberry Pi has an ARM processor, and we don't have an ARM port. Until we do, VL won't work here.
Robert
VL 7.2 Light B2

wigums

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 04:13:45 pm »

we often talk about or are asked about an arm port of vector linux. the truth is we are just too few in  numbers in terms of developers.
i may be wrong but its my understanding kvm/qemu can virtualize ARM. so in theory its possible yes. but again, there is only a handful of
us to handle the entire project as it is right now. thats development of the next release, security updates for current release, package requests, documentation, maintaining the build system, etc etc etc

Rytz

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 04:39:45 pm »

Understood.  Vector will always have a place on my desktops and laptops.  I'm in the process of getting 7.1 to replace my 7.0's.
~ Rytz

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 02:58:58 am »

Could you comment on the minimum space required for a Light install?

The products page mention size for a "full install":
1.8GB hard drive space for full system

That is very old information. You need over 3G for 7.1, and only the automatic option will try to install to anything less than 4G.

-- Just took a look at the "products" section of vectorlinux.com, that whole page is years out of date. :(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:03:00 am by nightflier »

Rytz

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 09:22:12 am »

That is very old information. You need over 3G for 7.1, and only the automatic option will try to install to anything less than 4G.

-- Just took a look at the "products" section of vectorlinux.com, that whole page is years out of date. :(

Wow, I'm kinda surprised at the size requirements for Light.  I was guessing around a gig for a minimal install.  I'm not suggesting that a greater size requirement takes away from its awesomeness, though :).

I'll probably switch to Light 7.1 on my laptop since I prefer lighter distros.
~ Rytz