Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.2 Alpha Build - TESTERS NEEDED!  (Read 44686 times)

sidoko

• user
Re: VectorLinux 7.2 Alpha Build - TESTERS NEEDED!
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2016, 03:10:32 am »
UPDATE
Version A1.4 has been built is now available for testing.

On this build, look for the following:

* Linux kernel has been update to LTS 4.4.9
* Hibernate button is back to logout dialog.  Default settings hibernate to swap, so if you add a swap partition at install time, you should be able to hibernate your machine.

[...]

Enjoy ;)

Cool stuff wigums! Thank you for telling us! ;-)
4.4.9? Nice, I tried on Xubuntu, but it was a mess...

I installed on virtualbox and on my Laptop, everything works fine, even the lousy bcm-WLAN-Card AND it hibernates so fast and restarting takes less than 10 sec.!! Well done work!

BUT, I have a little problem that resides anywhere since 7.1 and I can't find it:
I set everything up for german locale but I cant get the login to the right charset, it keeps its english preset.
To clearify in my humbly english, typing in Z and Y are switched, ü, ö and ä does not exist and the login environment does not save the language settings, every start is is reset to (english/canada).

I made the systems autologin as a workaround, but if I logout the problem pops up again, I realise after 3 denied tries to login and it is something else than secure... :-(

Where do I have to look to solve this little problem?

sidoko

• user
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2016, 12:01:59 am »
Nothing new?  :-\
I hope you'll find the problem and kick me in the right direction to solve it for me and future noobs...  ;)

StrayBit

• Vectorian
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2016, 11:54:10 am »
wigums:  I used to have at least 6 partitions that I could boot into (VL5.9, 6.0, 7.0, 7.1, DOS/FREEDOS, and win98 as well as a test partion).  Unfortunately I clobbered at least two of them installing 7.2RC.  (or was it Slack 14.1?)  Have been unable to play with Vector last winter and spring.
7.2 STD B2 built on Feb-01-2017
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2016, 10:22:07 am »
Nothing new?  :-\
I hope you'll find the problem and kick me in the right direction to solve it for me and future noobs...  ;)
I take it you're talking about language setup here. Vasm-legacy has been updated to put locale setting back on its menu, but your version may not have that yet. That's OK; all versions will let you run it without the menu.
Set the keyboard up first:
Code: [Select]
su root /sbin/vkmapsetEnter root password when prompted, then follow the menu. There is a message that this sets only the console keyboard. That is incorrect, it sets both. I'll be fixing that in later releases.

Pick a locale and character set:
Code: [Select]
su root /sbin/vlocalesetSame process as above. I assume you're looking for de_DE.utf8, but there are other options.
Robert