Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.2 Alpha Build - TESTERS NEEDED!  (Read 47540 times)

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VectorLinux 7.2 Alpha Build - TESTERS NEEDED!
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2016, 06:30:14 am »
UPDATE:

Build A0.3.8 was completed yesterday.

I'd like to thank those of you who have tested before and invite everyone to continue testing.  We have been in alpha mode for the past 4 months and so far been able to squash most every bug that has been reported.  I'd like to start moving towards Beta soon, so everybody please download and test A0.3.8 and let us know of any serious showstoppers.  Otherwise, Beta1 will be here soon if nobody reports serious problems.

sidoko

• user
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2016, 07:54:57 am »
Ijust installed via USB/automatic and it went fine...
The charset is still nailed to US during login, so I need to use z instead of y within the german charset for my password.
The recognition of the screen takes time till DHCP is done.
I still need to 'germanize' the clock/date-tooltip to
Code: [Select]
%A, %d. %B %Y and 24h. (mind the Commata and the Point)
Timezone is Europe/Berlin, system time is eg. 16:45, local is 16:45, 15:45 is shown.
Screensavers keep saying, there was an error loading on screen »:0.0« as root. (Maybe this is no error?)

EDIT
GL-screensavers keep flashing
LibGL error: Failed to open drm device: Permission denied.
LibGL error: Failed to load driver: r600.
as user. (yes it's the Compaq CQ56 with onboard [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250])
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:23:06 am by sidoko »

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2016, 08:04:54 am »
The charset is still nailed to US during login, so I need to use z instead of y within the german charset for my password.
[ .... ]
I still need to 'germanize' the clock/date-tooltip to
%A, %d. %B %Y and 24h. (mind the Commata and the Point)
Timezone is Europe/Berlin, system time is eg. 16:45, local is 16:45, 15:45 is shown.
The default setup is of course set to work for the majority of our users.  Some post-install personalization will be required for others... Unfortunately, we can't accomodate everybody.
The recognition of the screen takes time till DHCP is done.
recognition of the screen?  Are you referring to the login screen?
Screensavers keep saying, there was an error loading on screen »:0.0« as root.
You really should not log in to the desktop as root.  This error is to be expected (and is sort of a security feature) when you log in as root.

sidoko

• user
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2016, 08:19:48 am »
Germanizing is no problem, I just would let you know, but the time shown is, even when I set HW-clock to local not correct.
I cannot change the charset to login with my password correctly and on every boot it is also set to english language again.
Recognition maybe not the right word, it takes time to detect, wich screen is where and how it is once set.
I see, trying to start a screensaver as root was a dumb idea, but it was set and I saw the error...

EDIT
damn, you're fast! ;-)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:22:23 am by sidoko »

sidoko

• user
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2016, 08:47:46 am »
as logged in user it refuses to open the root terminal after typing the correct root password

sidoko

• user
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2016, 09:07:17 am »
...and last but not least, is there anything changed again with the kernel? I can't get the broadcom (BCM4313 14e4:4727) wireless card to run, I even can't get the wl.ko to run...

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2016, 09:09:36 am »
You may need to read the localization documentation.  Sounds like you may need to set this at the system level rather than at the user level

As for your broadcom... are you on 7.1 or 7.2?
Nothing jas changed in 7.1, but 7.2 is moving fast

sidoko

• user
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2016, 09:37:14 am »
on 7.2 A0.3.8

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2016, 11:08:52 am »
Good catch.  We updated the kernel and need to debug the wl build.  I will try to get it fixed for the next release.

sidoko

• user
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2016, 12:42:16 am »
ERROR: Unable to find the kernel-src package for kernel 4.1.16.  Cannot continueWhere can I find them?

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2016, 04:36:56 am »
ERROR: Unable to find the kernel-src package for kernel 4.1.16.  Cannot continueWhere can I find them?

It looks like you are trying to use the broadcom-sta builder on 7.2.  That will not work.  The problem in 7.2 that prevents broadcom wireless drom working got fixed yesterday.  In 7.2 you should only need to modprobe wl

sidoko

• user
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2016, 05:48:18 am »
It did work for the A0.3.6 and I made it successful through all instances.
Now (on A0.3.8)  I did a modprobe wl and it didn't do anything, so I thought something is wrong. After updating the kernel on 7.1 I had the same problem and the wl-build solved it on both sides(7.1 on 4.0.7 and 'stock' A0.3.6). Now I just missed the restart (not only reload! what a fool I am...) and manually switch off and back on again to initialize the card. The wl now works fine.

The localization is still a problem I can only workaround with tricks. Before logging in, the keyboard is always set to en_EN, thereafter it is set however I did.

The clocksetting is now HW:UTC, TZ Europe/Berlin and it shows the right local-time, but my HW-clock is physically set to local, so effectively it shows the HW-time without regarding the TZ...

As a user, I don't get the 'Root Terminal' out of the menu, it just won't start. SU works fine!

I there a problem with OpenGL on my Mobility Radeon as mentioned earlier?

Thanks so far for your hard work and your continuing answers, I keep learning...

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2016, 05:57:34 am »
It did work for the A0.3.6 and I made it successful through all instances.
Now (on A0.3.8)  I did a modprobe wl and it didn't do anything, so I thought something is wrong. After updating the kernel on 7.1 I had the same problem and the wl-build solved it on both sides(7.1 on 4.0.7 and 'stock' A0.3.6). Now I just missed the restart (not only reload! what a fool I am...) and manually switch off and back on again to initialize the card. The wl now works fine.

The localization is still a problem I can only workaround with tricks. Before logging in, the keyboard is always set to en_EN, thereafter it is set however I did.

The clocksetting is now HW:UTC, TZ Europe/Berlin and it shows the right local-time, but my HW-clock is physically set to local, so effectively it shows the HW-time without regarding the TZ...

As a user, I don't get the 'Root Terminal' out of the menu, it just won't start. SU works fine!

I there a problem with OpenGL on my Mobility Radeon as mentioned earlier?

Thanks so far for your hard work and your continuing answers, I keep learning...

Like I said, the problem with the wl module was fixed yesterday, the next ISO build will have the problem fixed.  In the mean time, you can get the fix via slapt-get as root in a terminal
slapt-get -u; slapt-get -i --reinstall kernel4.1 kernel4.1-modules Reboot, and this will allow you to 'modprobe wl' when you log back in, and your wifi should work.  As for the localization stuff, you may find the 'vlocaleset' command handy.

As for the 'root terminal' not opening anything, this is a new bug.  I have filed it for you.
https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl72/issues/92/root-terminal-from-the-applications-menu

You can file new bugs there yourself and we will get them addressed.  Thanks for reporting
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:00:22 am by M0E-lnx »

wigums

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2016, 06:14:58 am »
...and last but not least, is there anything changed again with the kernel? I can't get the broadcom (BCM4313 14e4:4727) wireless card to run, I even can't get the wl.ko to run...

which broadcom do you have? try this
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=18837.msg104566#msg104566

like MOE-lnx mentioned this has only just been sorted out for 7.1
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:17:10 am by wigums »

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2016, 02:06:19 pm »
UPDATE:

Build A0.3.8 was completed yesterday.

I'd like to thank those of you who have tested before and invite everyone to continue testing.  We have been in alpha mode for the past 4 months and so far been able to squash most every bug that has been reported.  I'd like to start moving towards Beta soon, so everybody please download and test A0.3.8 and let us know of any serious showstoppers.  Otherwise, Beta1 will be here soon if nobody reports serious problems.

GREAT! Now where can we download it from?