VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hi everybody  (Read 2363 times)

Didier Spaier

• user
Hi everybody
« on: October 22, 2015, 01:27:58 pm »

I am Didier Spaier from France, a Slackware user and initiator of the Slint project, see slint.fr

I discovered Vector making a review of all Slackware derivatives (although nowadays VL looks more compatible with than derivative of Slackware).

I installed VL64-7.1 in a VirtualBox VM and found it really genuine and well polished. I appreciate the TUI+GUI installer, found the XFCE desktop very clean and nice although I be usually a Fluxbox user.

So congrats to the team!

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Hi everybody
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 05:35:25 pm »

Hi Didier, nice to hear from you. Will definitely check out Slint.  :)

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 05:58:24 pm »

Hi and welcome to the VL forum

Although fluxbox is no longer offered as an optional interface at log in, it is available for install via slapt-get or gslapt package manager from the Vector repository of applications..additional apps for fluxbox are also available such as feh, dock apps, menu maker, etc. below is a screen shot of VL-7.1 with fluxbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ja8pxx0cnmc5p5/VLFfluxbox.png?dl=0
Everything Is Relative

Didier Spaier

• user
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 12:44:59 am »

Thanks to both of you for the kind welcome.

While I am at it, one question: are the VectorLinux packages compatible with Slackware version 14.1? If some of them, which ones?

I ask because I see that a lot of work is done by many packagers in the Slackware family and it would be great not to duplicate efforts. For instance XFCE exists in Porteus, Slackware, Vector, Zenwalk and Salix  although not the same version.

But I digress, sorry. More on that later in a specific thread.

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 03:24:12 am »

Vector Linux has evolved, and while its roots do indeed come from Slackware, most packages created for Slackware will most likely fail if installed on VL.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 09:18:33 am »

There are enough differences that using Slack packages as a habit would be more trouble than it's worth.

But: A Slack official SlackBuild or one from SBo will usually either work when built, or require very little adjustment. It's a very common thing to do, still.

As for Xfce and other DE/WM's, they're often a signature for a distribution so they vary naturally. For versions, VL usually goes with latest stable source for a package if that's practical. But you're right -- it would be good to see less duplication of effort in packages generally.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:22:41 am by roarde »
Robert

wigums

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 09:23:25 am »

we are technically no longer based on slackware. vector is now its own distro although heavily
inspired by slackware

Code: [Select]
cat /etc/vector-version
647.2 STD A0.2.2 built on Oct-21-2015

Code: [Select]
cat /etc/slackware-version
Inspired by Slackware Linux

Didier Spaier

• user
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 10:11:31 am »

@retired1af & roarde: yes I understand that versions/configure options/dependencies can vary widely across packages coming from various distributions thus sharing is not that simple. Maybe sharing/adapting SlackBuilds is more realistic.

@wigums: Yes, I realized that while installing it and playing with it, though I didn't lift the hood to have a more thorough look yet.

Thanks all for responding.

CliffKimb

• user
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 12:33:40 am »

Welcome. That's sounds very good.
There is no such thing as a great talent without great will - power.*Link Removed*