VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Power Manager Panel Plugin - Battery Levels for Wireless Devices  (Read 1698 times)

mtbvfr

• user

Hi Everyone,

Does the Power Manager Icon, in the System Notification tray of the Panel, display the Battery Level of your wireless devices (e.g. Mouse/Trackball) when the pointer hovers over the icon?

Thanks, MTB.

wigums

Re: Power Manager Panel Plugin - Battery Levels for Wireless Devices
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 05:36:36 pm »

i imagine that would depend on which WM/DE tools you use

mtbvfr

• user
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 05:37:43 pm »

i imagine that would depend on which WM/DE tools you use

Oops  :-[

Xfce?

wigums

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 09:29:45 am »

there is a battery monitor for a laptop as well as power management plugin. for 3rd party devices like phones or mp3 players i dont know

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 11:56:35 am »

Hi Everyone,

Does the Power Manager Icon, in the System Notification tray of the Panel, display the Battery Level of your wireless devices (e.g. Mouse/Trackball) when the pointer hovers over the icon?

Thanks, MTB.

I don't know of any program or plugin that monitors your peripheral device's battery levels. The power management in XFCE is for the computer system itself.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

mtbvfr

• user
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 03:38:33 pm »

I don't know of any program or plugin that monitors your peripheral device's battery levels. The power management in XFCE is for the computer system itself.

No it's not only for the system itself. Have you tried it? Would you like to bet a million on it?

It also monitors the battery levels of wireless devices such as Mice/Trackballs, Keyboards and even connected devices such as an iPhone as shown in the following images.

Manjaro Xfce 0.8.10 Power Manager System Tray Icon showing Battery Level of my Logitech Trackball

If you right click on the Icon and select Power Information the following information is displayed. This is also from the Manjaro Xfce 0.8.10 environment.

As you can see in the next 3 images it's broken in Calculate Linux Xfce 15 which is using later versions of software.

Some Google searching confirms that the Power Management interface is broken in later versions of Xfce.

With Cinnamon installed for Calculate Linux 15, the Power Manager icon, in the Panel, displays the Battery Level for my Trackball.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:38:19 pm by mtbvfr »

wigums

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 02:27:26 pm »

we have xfce4 so i have to believe you can acomplish the same things across distros using xfce. some options may be enabled or wrappers written
to achieve a certain specific uses/effects per distro but xfce is xfce no matter the dstro its run on.

mtbvfr

• user
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 04:59:47 pm »

we have xfce4 so i have to believe you can acomplish the same things across distros using xfce. some options may be enabled or wrappers written
to achieve a certain specific uses/effects per distro but xfce is xfce no matter the dstro its run on.

As per my Google searching, it appears that the Power Management interface is broken in the latest versions of Xfce and it is an Xfce centric problem and not specific to any distros.

There must be somebody in the Vector Linux community that can confirm one way or the other what the status is with the version of Xfce4 used in Vector Linux 7.1?