VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Help on scripts to update any linux distro (including vector linux, ...)  (Read 1156 times)

Ecocomputing

• user
    • LinuxEfficiencyScripts

Hi,
I've been working on making a set of update scripts for any linux distro (we're mainly focusing at compatibility with Slitaz to start, but any other linux distro would also be supported; for other distros, the users can change the scripts a bit) See sourceforge.net/projects/linuxefficiencyscripts/

We do need some programmers/scripters to finish off some scripts we started, knowingly:
LES_bootmenu_changing.sh
LES_Linuxdirectorytree_changing.sh (still needs to add different
mountpoints, ...)
LES_BusyBox_cmd_update.sh
More info on what does what at sourceforge.net/p/linuxefficiencyscripts/wiki/FAQ/
You'll notice that the scripts will add important, useful features, such as allowing booting with and without persistence, making the drive lettering more logical, ... As such, it could be important to the popularising of linux as a whole, and convince more people to switch to linux, which in turn is beneficial for the comunity as well (as that will make more hardware manufacturers support it by default, ...).

If you're able to help us, come and join us (contact me via the emailadress mentioned at the sourceforge page)

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Help on scripts to update any linux distro (including vector linux, ...)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 04:34:07 am »

You'll notice that the scripts will add important, useful features, such as allowing booting with and without persistence, making the drive lettering more logical, ...

OMG.. is this for real?
How is changing from persistant to non persistant an upgrade? And how do you change drive lettering to be "more logical"?.. and more importantly, how can you target such a wide range of linux distros and rip out a bunch of stuff and still expect to have a working system in the end?

I hope this is spam
;)

Ecocomputing

• user
    • LinuxEfficiencyScripts
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:17:12 am »

How is changing from persistant to non persistant an upgrade? And how do you change drive lettering to be "more logical"?.. and more importantly, how can you target such a wide range of linux distros and rip out a bunch of stuff and still expect to have a working system in the end?

Hey M0E-lnx,
Non-persistance isn't always a merit, but sometimes it is (ie when installing new things you're not sure of, ...); the non-persistance isn't always on, it can be selected to be on or off on boot. For the drive lettering, read the text files/scripts (download the unfinished bundle and check it out for more details), as for having it working with "all distro's: the idea is to focus on having it working for slitaz first, but other distro's too would be supported; users need to modify the script themselves then, and/or for some distro's we can make other versions of the scripts.   

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:59:09 am »

Given the premise that your entire idea revolves around 'more logical' and sounds like ease of use and improved productivity for the user, you should not expect your user to read and modify your script...

But beyond that,
I'm afraid you do not understand the implications the damage you are inflicting on a perfectly working OS by doing this.  Your whole idea about 'organizing' the directory structure for programs, libs, etc is asinine.  Seriously, this is madness!
If you really want to create something like this, I suggest you start from scratch and build EVERY SINGLE component on the distro with the proper build prefixes and paths. the prefixes and paths you want to use.

On another note, have no interest in downloading 200+ mb of data to read one script.  Put this stuff in a VCS system somewhere and then I might glance at them.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:02:27 am by M0E-lnx »

wigums

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 12:27:16 pm »

i think its safe to say that the Vector Linux project is not interested