VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: IceWM fork  (Read 1745 times)

askfor

• user
IceWM fork
« on: November 25, 2015, 08:40:35 am »

I'd like  to bring attention to fork of IceWM at https://github.com/bbidulock/icewm

Official release, 1.3.8 is several years old, and have some bugs, like taskbar autohide and 'reboot' and 'shudown' entries in 'logout' menu. Github fork, version 1.3.11, resolves those bugs and adds some new features.  I wasn't aware of it until several days ago, when I downloaded source code. It is built without problem on Vector and I have been using it ever since.

If there is interest I might try to build VL package out of it, which is something I have never tried before.

macondo

• Vectorite
Re: IceWM fork
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 09:43:19 am »

I'd like  to bring attention to fork of IceWM at https://github.com/bbidulock/icewm

Official release, 1.3.8 is several years old, and have some bugs, like taskbar autohide and 'reboot' and 'shudown' entries in 'logout' menu. Github fork, version 1.3.11, resolves those bugs and adds some new features.  I wasn't aware of it until several days ago, when I downloaded source code. It is built without problem on Vector and I have been using it ever since.

If there is interest I might try to build VL package out of it, which is something I have never tried before.

I have no problems with autohide, as for the fork version, I'm interested fwiw.

PD: Apologies, forgot to mention that i do all that from the .icewm/keys and not from the menu, check:  http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=18710.0
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:26:31 pm by macondo »
VL 7.1 Light - icewm - jwm - ratpoison
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Oscar Peterson - Bossa Nova - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSX_7ejc5u8

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:17:16 am »

Thanks for pointing this out and telling us your experience. We discovered this fork a few weeks back. I presume (probably correctly) that some trials have been made on 7.2, but nothing I know of on 7.1 yet.

Are you running the "icewmvmods" package? If you  have Light, that's the default. Did you make any changes to your configuration there to have the new fork work correctly, or did it just "plug in"? Was any part of your existing configuration overwritten by re-installing IceWM?

Naturally, it's assumed you went on to change the settings for shutdown and reboot later to take advantages of those bugfixes.
Robert

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 06:06:02 pm »

Sorry -- I read right past the part where you're considering packaging 1.3.11 for 7.1.

I don't think anyone else has the time, and there is and will be interest. I'm afflicted with the autohide problem myself.

I did a quick edit of 1.3.8's VL slackbuild and did a test build. Patches wouldn 't apply correctly (no longer needed?) and the html documentation ended up directly in /usr/doc rather than under /usr/doc/icewm-1.3.11/html. I forced the build on through and upgraded. Autohide is much improved, but I'm gonna downgrade again and wait for a properly done package.

Only hint I have is to be sure and include the present doinst.sh in the build so that the existing /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.icewm doesn't get clobbered. That, and if you have questions about how that gets set up and into our buildsystem, that would make a nice thread in "Packager Training and Help".
Robert

askfor

• user
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 07:12:26 am »

I have run 'icewmmods' on my laptop for a short period, however I like to customize things myself. So I switched to 1.3.8, 'idesk' to support icons and 'xfe' as file manager. After running into bugs I have built old 1.3.5., which, by the way, can't be built without source code modification. When I tried to report bugs I run into Icewm on Github, not realizing it was a fork. Dumb as I am I tried to report bugs there and got 'educated' by the author.

I have little experience with packaging. Back then, when I was working for academic network I have built some old dpkg packages for their Debian. As far as I remember it was like creating a list of files on the system prior to installation, building from source, and creating a package based on differences to prior state of file system.

I happen to have old 32-bit laptop and 64-bit desktop so I could cover both, for now. I could try, but I can't guarantee the results.

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 08:46:45 am »

I happen to have old 32-bit laptop and 64-bit desktop so I could cover both, for now. I could try, but I can't guarantee the results.

"Try, if you like" is the idea. Our build system is much simpler to contribute to than what you report the dpkg process was back then. A single, simple directory tree -- mainly just the single .SlackBuild -- builds both the 32- and 64-bit versions. If it's run on 32-bit, it generates the 32-bit package; and the same for 64-bit.

Our build system reads the files, sets itself up as a 32-bit machine and does a build, then sets up as a 64-bit machine and builds again. It's not full packages that are submitted, rather just the directory contents: icewm/src/* in this case.

Take a look at https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl71/src/HEAD?at=master. Click through to var/vabs/icewm. You can copy that then edit what's there, or you can start fresh with sbbuilder, issuing 'sbbuilder --manual | less' will display instructions. Or if you haven't explicitly removed the original icewm-1.3.8 package, the SlackBuild and the patches/ directory for building are in your own /usr/doc/icewm-1.3.8/ directory. As far as patches, recall I had trouble with those. Some, if not all, have already been applied to the newer source.

Test building on both architectures is the far better idea generally, but if that's a lot more work for you then one test will probably do in this case. If you find you completed something you'd like to submit, there's a recommended way to go about that and also another way sometimes used when the first is inconvenient. Just ask if and when you're ready.

As with most packages, a fairly plain, fairly vanilla build of icewm is what's wanted. If that's the result, then any conflicts with icewmvmods or maybe VL_Theme-Light should properly be handled by changes made by someone else in those two. They're set up to work with a "regular" icewm package, and looks to me like that part was done right. Conflicts with those aren't expected and shouldn't concern you.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:01:25 am by roarde »
Robert

askfor

• user
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:16:38 am »

I have some reading to do, first. I'll report back when I have something to show.