VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VirtualBox fails to build kernel modules  (Read 3048 times)

scififry

VirtualBox fails to build kernel modules
« on: November 29, 2015, 11:06:57 am »

Hello everyone, first off: congrats on VL 7.1 64! :) It's been quite some time for me to upgrade/install.

The OS works like a charm, but I've run into an issue with VirtualBox compiling its kernel modules.
System: x86_64  2.4 GHz, 1.25 gigs RAM, VLocity 7.1, Linux 3.18.16, VirtualBox 5.0.8 r103449

The VirtualBox window itself appears and works without any problems as a regular GNU/Linux program (I can create/configure virtual machines), but when I want to start the actual virtual machine from inside the program, this error message appears:
Code: [Select]
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
Since the kernel modules haven't been built yet, running /sbin/vboxconfig fails. I Installed DKMS from Dell's original RPM package http://linux.dell.com/dkms/ , but that didn't help either.

Doing what http://www.randyjensenonline.com/blog/category/ubuntu suggests, running /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup, returns the following:
root:# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules ...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMSError! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 3.18.16 cannot be found at
/lib/modules/3.18.16/build or /lib/modules/3.18.16/source.
 ...failed!
  (Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
  (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

root:# cat /var/log/vbox-install.log
Uninstalling modules from DKMS
  removing old DKMS module vboxhost version  5.0.8

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 5.0.8
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
Attempting to install using DKMS

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.8/source ->
                 /usr/src/vboxhost-5.0.8

DKMS: add completed.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
Makefile:203: *** Error: unable to find the include directory for your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_INCL=<directory> and run Make again.  Stop.
There is an include directory /usr/include/linux containing kernel modules (as I got to know from here: http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:kernelbuilding), however it's not clear to me for which kernel version. I copied that directory and named it /usr/include/linux-3.18.16, but that didn't change anything. Then I copied the same directory to /usr/src/linux-3.18.16, where the symlinks /lib/modules/3.18.16/build and /lib/modules/3.18.16/source both are pointing to, but that didn't fix anything either.

Why does this not work? Are the kernel modules I found in /usr/include/linux the wrong ones?

wigums

Re: VirtualBox fails to build kernel modules
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 01:16:25 pm »

first thing to do is install the kernel headers with installpkg
the command will be something like

installpkg kernel-headers-3.18.16-x86_64-1vl71.txz
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/stable/VL64-7.1/packages/kernels/kernel-headers-3.18.16-x86_64-1vl71.txz

then let us know what happens

edit:
i just packaged dkms, its in the untested repo for now. install that as well

edit:
virtualbox wont run without 32 bit libs (multilib) and we are not setup for it at this time
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:49:16 pm by wigums »