Author Topic: screen resolution on VL 7.1 lite [SOLVED]  (Read 8745 times)

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
Re: screen resolution on VL 7.1 lite
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 05:29:15 pm »
You don't have a screen section in your xorg.conf file, do you?  That's what it's complaining about.  You need to add one.  Have to run now but I'll try and find a sample for you if nobody else has by tomorrow.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VL64 7.1

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 07:50:39 pm »
The trident driver is bad. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57996

First things first, let's record where it started. Without an /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and without any files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, reboot. Copy the resulting Xorg.0.log to somewhere it can be referred to, if needed.

The bad news is the trident driver. The good news is that you have a SlackBuild for that. In order to build a new driver package, you need two additional packages. As root:
Code: [Select]
slapt-get -u
slapt-get -i dri3proto presentproto

As regular user, cd to a directory of your choice and
mkdir -p xf86-video-trident/src/patches
cd xf86-video-trident/src
# patches/ is an empty "extra", for the present
cp /usr/doc/xf86-video-trident/src/xf86-video-trident.SlackBuild ./
Need to make two edits in the new copy of xf86-video-trident.SlackBuild:
       In VERSION=, change 1.3.6 to 1.3.7
       In LINK=, change http: to ftp:     This one was probably a changed link, rather than a typo.

1.3.6 is the version that "goes with" this xorg server, but I didn't see anything in the changes that will cause a problem.  If I'm wrong, patches can be applied to 1.3.6, but that's more complex. Try 1.3.7.

Still in <some-directory>/xf86-video-trident/src:
su -lm
sh xf86-video-trident.SlackBuild
You have time for some quiet, slow sips of tea, but probably not enough to steep it properly first. There will be a couple of warnings issued, hopefully harmless. Assuming that the build succeeded, you're still su'd to root and in the same directory:
upgradepkg --install-new ../xf86-video-trident-1.3.7-i586-1vl71.txz
exit    # any time you wish, of course
"--install-new" is meaningless here, but a good habit. Avoids retyping when you are installing a new package, rather than upgrading.

Reboot. Regardless of whether it works at all, or fixes your problem, save this Xorg.0.log somewhere, too. I'm going to guess that trident is not auto-detected. Read the log.

If it didn't try to load trident, drop that 99-trident.conf file back into xorg.conf.d and try again. Once trident does successfully load, it may be (probably is) time to make the changes/additions suggested by caitlyn. If you find it helpful, between we two caitlyn is the more experienced in VL generally, and undoubtedly has seen more hardware. I've just been able to participate in the VL build process more recently, that's all.

A fix of some sort should be added to official packages. Xorg is now built from a git submodule in our tree, and I can't find anyone on a weekend that knows the correct way to make and apply the changes for an official, bot-built package..

Thanks very much for bringing this up. There may be a new package coming soon. If you choose to build and try the new driver in the meantime, any info will be helpful.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:18:43 pm by roarde »
Robert

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 08:38:17 pm »
Good catch.  Thanks, Robert.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VL64 7.1

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 07:46:27 pm »
There's a new build of xf86-video-trident, version 1.3.7, in the untested repo which should solve the driver loading problem.

There are at least a few ways to install things from untested, but since it's known you already have the dependencies for this one, I'll just keep it simple here and leave dealing with the untested repo generally for another time.

Download http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/untested/veclinux-7.1/x86/xf86-video-trident-1.3.7-i586-1vl71.txz
Then as root, do:
upgradepkg --install-new xf86-video-trident-1.3.7-i586-1vl71.txz

On hearing from someone using trident that this works, we can move it to the regular, stable repos. Please check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see whether this driver is being loaded successfully and used before responding.
Robert

jrtapper

• user
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 08:23:31 am »
Hello again, and thinks for the ongoing help.

I followed Roarde's steps from 1/16 to build the new driver package and I am not sure I am in a better place.  After the install-new and reboot, I let the system boot without any user intervention. When it got to the X login, the display was scrambled, visible but not usable.  I rebooted to the TUI and was able to look at the log file. The good news is that it appears to be loading the trident driver.   

The first error in the log file says 'systemd-logind : failed to get session...'

Later on it says 'Matched trident as autoconfigured driver 0' and shortly after 'LoadModule:"trident"  (I assume this is a good thing)

Then the next error says 'Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist)'
The very next line says 'LoadModule: "vesa"'  we know from before that this card does not support VESA, I assume this is where we start really going off the rails.

Then there a lot of linted that start with 'TRIDENT(0)' which I assume are messages from the driver itself.

A bit further down the log, the next error 'TRIDENT(0) Failed to load module "xaa" (module does not exist,0)'

I will try to get the full file attached to this post, but now that I am in CLI only I need to figure out how to get the file off of the machine and onto a browser.

Is there a way to undo this last change so I can get back to where I was before?

Thanks again!

jrtapper

• user
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 08:59:54 am »
OK, I have dusted off my CLI skills and gotten the log files to where I can post them here.

Xorg.0.12316.txt is the log file from before the new driver build
Xorg.0.012316a.txt is the log file from after the new driver build

Thanks a lot!

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 02:35:48 pm »
I believe you're closer to a higher resolution than you think, but having a viewable screen in the meantime would be better.

As root:
slapt-get -s --remove xf86-video-trident
That simulates removal and tells you what will happen. Once you see that xf86-video-trident is all that will be removed, run the same again without the '-s' bit to remove what the package installed "for real".

I don't see the point in going back to install the old driver which won't load anyway, do you? All the same, there's a URL for it a bit further down.

Make a directory where you can store the two driver versions for a while and 'cd' there. I'll stay out of 'code' or 'tt' sections so you can either run the "wget" commands (if still stuck in TUI) or just click and download.
wget http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/x86//xf86-video-trident-1.3.7-i586-1vl71.txz
wget http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/packages/x/xf86-video-trident-1.3.6-i586-1vl71.txz

The top one is a freshly-built test package for version 1.3.7 of the trident driver. It's probably functionally identical to the one you built. The other is, of course, the driver that was installed originally. As said, you probably don't want to install it just to have it skipped.

When you want to work on configuration for the new driver, cd to where it's kept and
upgradepkg --install-new xf86-video-trident-1.3.7-i586-1vl71.txz
To go back to working without the trident driver,
removepkg xf86-video-trident

A few of the right conf changes should get it working at a higher res than you have. First thing to look at is getting it to use a depth of 16bpp rather than the default 24. Don't be concerned about XAA. It's an old accelerator and isn't included because it's not well maintained. With this card, I think you're stuck with software acceleration, regardless. As for VESA, I think the driver now brings in the bits that your card is missing, but I'm not sure.
Robert

jrtapper

• user
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 02:50:44 pm »
Thanks Roarde!

I am game to make this work but I was just asking about backing it out in case I am not successful. I have lots of other machines available to look at the forum and do real work. :-)

Thanks!

I welcome any guidance on how to make the driver work. I am not sure what to do next to fix it.   

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 03:36:53 pm »
It's been forever since I've manually configured an X server. But install the 1.3.7 driver and try this /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/46-bpp16.conf:
Section "Screen"
    Indentifier       "Autoconfigured"
    DefaultDepth      "16"
EndSection
The filename was chosen arbitrarily and almost doesn't matter.

If it doesn't make the right choices from there, you'll need to set up "Device" and "Monitor" sections. Hopefully someone who's done more of that recently will chime in.
Robert

jrtapper

• user
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 04:16:16 pm »
Thanks, this gives me a place to start.

I have learned that the DefaultDepth value should not have any quotes around it.

This file does not work by itself, so I will go back to the logs and Cynthia's earlier posts to see if I can make any progress on my own.

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 04:18:21 pm »
I really should have shut up by now and let someone advise you who knows how. Still, here is my last offering for a config. Remove the above file and replace it with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/46-trident.conf:
Section "Device"
  Identifier   "trident 0"
  Driver       "trident"
  Option       "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier      "Screen 0"
  Device          "trident 0"
  DefaultDepth    16
EndSection

The Arch Linux and Gentoo wikis were helpful in coming up with that much.

There's a better than even chance that it still needs a Monitor section, or more. On that, I finally take my own advice and leave you in more capable hands.
Robert

jrtapper

• user
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 05:18:41 pm »
Ha Ha!

I really appreciate all of your time and effort with me on this.  I am learning a lot and that is really the main point of this project.

Your last suggestion still did not work, I will post the log file if anyone is interested.

Thanks again

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 05:23:24 pm »
Your judgment that a new log each time is overkill is correct, but seeing what happens with some config that specifies the driver might be helpful, so post this one.

BTW, I found several postings (lists) that suggest max res for the monitor is 875x650.
Robert

jrtapper

• user
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 05:55:11 pm »
OK, here you go.

The attached log is after the most recent version of the .conf file. 

The system boots but the display is not usable (pixelated colors kind of legible, but not really)  My theory is that we are over driving the monitors capabilities.

Thanks!

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 06:31:03 pm »
I'm sure you've seen this, jrtapper; but for the benefit of someone who'd find it helpful:
                                   Active        Band-                    Physical
                                   Display   DP  Width  Hsync    Vsync    Max Res
Manufacturer  Model                (mm)          (Mhz)  (KHz)     (Hz)    (pixels)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shamrock      SRC1451              245 x 182 .28        30-38   47-104  875 x  650

From the page you listed before, http://www1.ecs.uni-ruse.bg/kp/less/dispalys/VD-site/specs/monitor.html

It has more hsync and a lot more vsync range than the default taken by the server.

Sure wish the dot clock was listed for this one.
Robert