VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Why the Linux Desktop doesn't matter anymore  (Read 5361 times)

macondo

• Vectorite
VL 7.1 Light - icewm - jwm - ratpoison
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Oscar Peterson - Bossa Nova - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSX_7ejc5u8

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
Re: Why the Linux Desktop doesn't matter anymore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 01:23:10 pm »

Matt Asay has written a lot of nonsense over the years.  This is a great example.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VL64 7.1

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:39:56 pm »

* M0E-lnx nods

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:45:11 pm »

Here we are, two years after that article, millions of Linux desktop users still doing our thing.

wigums

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:15:51 am »

apparently his hair is very fast growing as he mentions Valerie, the woman who cuts his hair, in so many articles.
he seems to have her at the center of the "techological universe" because everything revolves around her

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 01:46:29 pm »

He's in the same group of people who keep claiming the PC is dead. Yes, a ton of youngsters try to force their phones to be PCs on the go, but PC sales are still happening and users still use PCs.

Every time someone tells me PCs are dead, I tell them to create that sales spreadsheet on their phone or tablet and get it to me the next day. The looks are priceless.  ;D
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

wigums

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 02:42:49 pm »

funny

Megamieuwsel

• Ex-Officio
  • Vectorite
  • Dude In The Snappy Hat
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 10:47:19 am »

Every time someone tells me PCs are dead, I tell them to create that sales spreadsheet on their phone or tablet and get it to me the next day. The looks are priceless.  ;D
Yep; In Consumer-land nothing can hold a candle to the PCs sheer brute number-crunching power.
Even modern full-blown laptops fall short in so many areas..
<Lame sig>

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 12:48:11 pm »

I have a smartphone, just crappy enough to be annoying (I thought about developing for android and this had android). But I can boot a Linux desktop environment from it on any computer that supports booting from USB. I have a wonderful tablet, it is great for entertainment. But for anything that requires for instance a decent amount of typing, the laptop is still my weapon of choice.

And then there's programming. Can't do that properly on anything but a pc with a full-blown development environment IMO.

The Linux desktop might not matter to a huge portion of the people, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

Colonel Panic

• Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 12:09:39 pm »

"This is so patently untrue that it’s breathtaking. Yes, people can get basic computer functions from Linux, and even advanced functionality. What they can’t get is an experience that easily blends with other devices or computing experiences they already own."

This may be an old thread, but please allow me to comment here. For me this isn't an issue, because I don't have any other devices. I have one computer - a desktop, which I'm using to post this - and a "dumb" (i.e. non-smart) phone.

I suspect there are others in the same boat.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:32:47 pm by Colonel Panic »

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 06:40:02 pm »

No cables here, save electric power. I'm having trouble finding flip phones now, or the service that goes with them. Got any pointers?
Robert

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 07:49:06 pm »

I see Cricket Wireless have a couple of flip phones available, and voice+text starting at $25/mo.

The whole Linux Desktop discussion has gone on for years. There is no doubt that the duopoly of MS and Apple has remained safe from being overthrown by it, but I disagree that it "never mattered". It has provided a haven for those computer users who want to have control over their computers, and continues to do so. I suspect that the Linux Desktop will continue to be available and supported long after Windows Phones are gone.

Carney

• user
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 07:10:05 am »

I agree with you, Nightflier. Linux always had and always will have its place. It certainly matters to the people that are using it, that's for sure. Bigger market share for Linux might be closer than it seems too. It might take just that one tipping point where masses start to use Linux.

Lyn

• Vectorian
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 02:21:43 am »

Of course in many countries - like Brazil and various autonomous communities in Spain Linux is the main desktop in administration and schools.....