Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Pentium? Core i5? Core i7? Making sense of Intel’s convoluted CPU lineup  (Read 1012 times)

macondo

• Vectorite
Excerpt:
Laptops: A big ol’ mess

"If you thought the desktop lineup was complicated, wait until you see how messy the laptop lineup is! In this case, the processor suffixes are a better way to keep track of the different processors. The different processor brandings mean different things based on the amount of power the CPU is designed to use and the kind of system it was designed to fit in.

As with the desktop Core i3, i5, and i7 chips, 4000-series means Haswell, 5000-series means Broadwell, and 6000-series means Skylake. Each successive CPU generation includes minor-to-negligible improvements in CPU performance alongside more tangible improvements to GPU performance, something to keep in mind as you decide whether to buy something cutting-edge or save money on an older or refurbished model. Since upgrading the processor isn't even possible most of the time, you can worry less about having a future-proofed motherboard. That said, we'll focus primarily on Skylake here."
VL 7.1 Light - icewm - jwm - ratpoison
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Oscar Peterson - Bossa Nova - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSX_7ejc5u8

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Pentium? Core i5? Core i7? Making sense of Intel’s convoluted CPU lineup
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:40:11 am »
Unless you're also looking for a notebook that has discrete graphics (as in nVidia or AMD), then the CPU choice is going to make a huge difference as far as graphics are concerned.

Generally, this has always been the case for notebooks without discrete graphics, regardless of the CPU manufacturer. Intel has been making some very good strides in graphics performance over the past few years. And while it's still not as good as having a dedicated GPU in the notebook, the 4000 series graphics on up are very good indeed.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz