VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Running Wine 1.8  (Read 551 times)

askfor

• user
Running Wine 1.8
« on: March 06, 2016, 07:37:19 am »

I have installed Wine 1.8 alien on VL7.1. It was a simple click/install and it worked. Then I run into problem with 32 bit apps. I'd appreciate some help with it. Wine64 works, while Wine32 doesn't, it throws an error saying that executable doesn't exist, while it is there.

Somewhere on the forum I've read that VL7.1 is multilib ready and that I just need to drop 32-bit libs into /usr/lib. Does it mean that I don't need to upgrade gcc and glibc ? On the multilib site, there is something about compat stuff. What about that ?

At the moment I haven't got the slightest idea what wine32 might need to run. I don't think it is dynamic libraries, because if one is missing I would have gotten a specific error message.

I think I have the same or similar problem with google-earth.

wigums

Re: Running Wine 1.8
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 12:39:19 pm »

7.1 is NOT multilib capable. no version of vector linux is. it is however high on the priority list

is that WINE something you got from alienbob?? this isnt slackware, you might be able to get it working
but its not something that we can support. you will almost certainly have issues with wine being that vector
linux isnt multilib. im not sure but it is next in my list of shit to get sorted out actually so....

askfor

• user
Re: Running Wine 1.8
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:51:59 pm »

I don't expect anyone to provide support for me, don't worry about it. Just found someone's post here, saying that VL is multilib ready and it made me curious. I suppose you could find it, too, if you want. Thanks for reply.

Yes, Wine is alien stuff, works, but for 64-bit apps only.

I know that installing out of repository is not exactly encouraged, but it worked for me, so far. Well, most of the time. I had a problem once with dynamic library version, but resolved it with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

All in all (knocking on wood) I have VL installed on my PC and two friends/family laptops, works great. It is the first distro that I really liked since Red Hat Linux 9 (last one before Fedora).

Also liked FreeBSD very much. Used it about two years, but had to abandon it when there was no driver for Samsung printer I bought at the time. Tried everything, compiled several versions of Ghostscript, no dice. Then I returned to Linux.