VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 12:34:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Post your screenshots !  (Read 54208 times)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2007, 01:50:29 pm »

Have you thought about a wallpapers package?
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2007, 11:54:13 pm »

If we include a wallpapers package then I think we should include all the wallpapers that we have used from past releases - maybe with the version specific details removed, or maybe not?  I think it would be a nice gesture to those that worked so hard to create them and a nod to the continuity of the work of the contributors to Vector. 
t'web

« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2007, 02:58:38 am »

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 03:44:57 am by t'web » Logged
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2007, 05:28:01 am »

Have you thought about a wallpapers package?

Do you think I should put up a wallpaper package with the wallpapers that I currently have on my box? Smiley

If we include a wallpapers package then I think we should include all the wallpapers that we have used from past releases - maybe with the version specific details removed, or maybe not?  I think it would be a nice gesture to those that worked so hard to create them and a nod to the continuity of the work of the contributors to Vector. 

I agree, it would be a very nice gesture for the people working with making the wallpapers for Vector and also a tap on the back so we will still get high-quality wallpapers.
I could quite easily pick out a good range of perhaps 15-20 wallpapers that I use myself right now, most of them are either 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. I have on my drive about a 250-300 wallpapers to choose between.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2007, 07:00:28 am »

Currently our "VL" wallpapers that are in usr/share/wallpapers/ are part of our "vlart" package.  It contains much more than wallpapers.  It also has VL specific icons and logo's in it as well.  So messing with that package might not be such a good idea.

I see no harm with creating a additional wallpapers package that dumps more wallpapers into usr/share/wallpapers/ as well.  That way the VL ones aren't touched, and the user can decide whether or not they want your wallpapers installed.

Personally I'd install a package if you made it.  You seem to have a good eye, and a broad enough taste to suite various people.
The wallpapers that come with VL by default are nice.  But many of them are used in random screen savers (which is the way I have my screen saver).  And the wallpapers are starting to get a bit stale.  I like things stirred up a bit.
I often find myself zoning out staring at my screen saver.  Great stress relieve  Cheesy
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2007, 07:48:10 am »

I think VL wallpaper collections are a good idea, though we might want to set up some guidelines to avoid inappropriate content. I packaged my lava themes a while back. It's in the 5.8 repo, but IIRC, they were version-agnostic:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/extra/x/wallpaper-lava-1.0-noarch-4vl58.tlz

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2007, 09:53:09 am »

I loved that dark wp with a 3d tux, I think it is for vl 4.

I think VL wallpaper collections are a good idea, though we might want to set up some guidelines to avoid inappropriate content. I packaged my lava themes a while back. It's in the 5.8 repo, but IIRC, they were version-agnostic:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/extra/x/wallpaper-lava-1.0-noarch-4vl58.tlz

I have that package installed already, good stuff Wink

May be just making a wallpapers dir at the ftp to put all of them together?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2007, 03:40:57 am »

I absolutely agree with you, Joe, on this topic. I wouldn't included naked women in the wallpaper package due to inappropriate content as an example.
And no political, religious or any other message in the wallpapers I would package.
I would make them from a beautiful-point-of-view, just plain beautiful.
Joe, you can perhaps give some guidelines for the content? I'm open to listen to what is required in order to make a wallpaper package.

Currently our "VL" wallpapers that are in usr/share/wallpapers/ are part of our "vlart" package.  It contains much more than wallpapers.  It also has VL specific icons and logo's in it as well.  So messing with that package might not be such a good idea.

I see no harm with creating a additional wallpapers package that dumps more wallpapers into usr/share/wallpapers/ as well.  That way the VL ones aren't touched, and the user can decide whether or not they want your wallpapers installed.

Personally I'd install a package if you made it.  You seem to have a good eye, and a broad enough taste to suite various people.
The wallpapers that come with VL by default are nice.  But many of them are used in random screen savers (which is the way I have my screen saver).  And the wallpapers are starting to get a bit stale.  I like things stirred up a bit.
I often find myself zoning out staring at my screen saver.  Great stress relieve  Cheesy

Thanks for the nice words, I try to make a package that would be suitable for all users. Smiley

Please, give comments all VL users on what you think.
I have now made a rough selection of 20 wallpapers which I'm thinking about making into a package.
The package size is now around 6-7MB, is that too big or can I make it even bigger?
Additional wallpapers of 30 perhaps or even 40?

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2007, 04:51:54 am »

What about breaking them up into categories?  Scenic, Sci-fi, art, music etc.  Not suggesting that is what you call them, just trying to get my point acrossed.  That way a user can have a reasonable download targeted a bit better to their taste.  Someone who is after the "Kansas" or "lightning" type wallpapers might not dig "Scar face" or "Mega-death" (just a example) that much.  Cheesy
Xeon
Vectorite

« Reply #159 on: September 30, 2007, 05:04:16 am »

whoah t'web, could you send me that wallpaper please?? it looks awesome!
t'web

« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2007, 07:03:08 am »

Hello Xeon,

The wallpaper is coming your way...check your mailbox.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2007, 01:21:53 pm »

I've been playing around with some of the programs from the new "media bonus disc", and decided to make a screenshot:

It's VL 5.9 rc1, As you can see I've installed KDE on it. This will probably become my "primary" Linux pretty soon.

I never tried jackEQ before. Nice program, but I have to find a way to automate connecting everything if I'm going to use it more often.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2007, 01:27:38 pm »

Heh, heh. Nice!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2007, 03:27:24 am »

I just wonder what is all the fuzz about wallpaper. Most of the time most is covered by some windows be it a terminal or some application. Case in point I just have a most beautiful girl in a beautiful pose as a wallpaper. Can I enjoy it? No!! She is always covered by some window. So unless I do nothing with my distro, just enjoy he beauty of my wallpaper I might as well shut down the machine and hang the picture on the wall and look at it.
 My own backgrounds, say wallpaper, are in strong plain colors changing by the hour as set with rclock.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2007, 07:48:10 am »

The Headacher - are you clipping on channels 1 and 3?  Tongue
I also have not used jackEQ for much the same reason. As for VLrc1.7 it's doing very well on my laptop I just need to get a linux-friendly wireless adapter as my TRENDnet adapters (PC card and USB) are problematic.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: