VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Incomplete installation.  (Read 713 times)

Hairyloon

• user
Incomplete installation.
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:14:23 pm »

I'm trying to find something useful to do with a couple of very old laptops and I've had it suggested that Vector Linux is a good way to go.
The GUI installer does something very petunia so I've used the original and it seems to work, all the way to 100% and then it stops...

After a reboot, the machine just sits there with a blank screen...

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Incomplete installation.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 04:58:43 am »

Apparently, the install never finishes. After the file copy reaches 100% it is supposed to install the boot loader so you can restart and boot from the hard drive.

The VL installer makes it easy to boot from the install medium, then continue from the internal disk. Assuming you only have one hard drive in the computer, and you chose the "automatic" install: When the initial splash screen appears, enter command "linux root=/dev/sda1 ro"

If that starts the system, post back with your results and we can help you with further trouble shooting.

Hairyloon

• user
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:12:24 am »

end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount rootfs on unknown-block(8,1)
random: nonblocking pool is initialised

And it sits there flashing lights...

I'll try installing again while I wait for a reply, in case I did something silly last time...

Or maybe I won't: it says
Could not find kernel image: /isolinux/kernel/sata32
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:18:41 am by Hairyloon »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 08:50:47 am »

end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount rootfs on unknown-block(8,1)
random: nonblocking pool is initialised

And it sits there flashing lights...

I'll try installing again while I wait for a reply, in case I did something silly last time...

Or maybe I won't: it says
Could not find kernel image: /isolinux/kernel/sata32

The first message tells us that either the installation is corrupt, or not on the specified device.

Second message indicates a bad install medium, it can not read the needed files on the disc (or USB device).

Which version of VL is it you are using?
Would you give us the specs for the computer you are installing to?

Hairyloon

• user
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 09:05:34 am »

The first message tells us that either the installation is corrupt, or not on the specified device.
How can I find which?

Second message indicates a bad install medium, it can not read the needed files on the disc (or USB device).
It worked before. :?
I do notice that the error refers to isolinux where the directory on the disk is ISOLINUX. Could that be a part of the problem?
Which version of VL is it you are using?
7.1 Light.
Would you give us the specs for the computer you are installing to?
It's a Dell X200 series laptop with an 800MHz PIII(?) processor... Probably not worth the trouble, but I don't like to throw things away if they work.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:13:02 am by Hairyloon »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:42:47 am »

I agree with you on not wanting to throw away working hardware. :)

First issue, booting from the CD (?) and continuing from HDD requires you to know where you installed to. The default install is to "/dev/sda1", but it could be different. If you're sure you got that entry right, then the installation is corrupt.

It would not be unusual for an old optical drive to not work reliably all the time. A fingerprint on the disc can be enough to confuse it.

I'm not familiar with the technical term "petunia", but I assume you installed using the text installer, by typing "install" on the first screen?

The installer needs at least 256M of RAM and 4G of hard drive space, are those specs met?

Hairyloon

• user
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 01:05:15 pm »

First issue, booting from the CD (?) and continuing from HDD requires you to know where you installed to. The default install is to "/dev/sda1", but it could be different. If you're sure you got that entry right, then the installation is corrupt.
Reasonably sure, but to be clear, it does do a lot of stuff before the error message...

It would not be unusual for an old optical drive to not work reliably all the time. A fingerprint on the disc can be enough to confuse it.

It's a USB stick: this one doesn't have an optical drive. I think I'll try redoing the image next.

I'm not familiar with the technical term "petunia", but I assume you installed using the text installer, by typing "install" on the first screen?
Petunia in this instance means bizarre and colourful, but the term has wider usage. 
I tried "install32" on the assumption that that was for a 32 bit machine, but that's now giving the error message.
If I type "install", then it runs an installer with the results as discussed...
The installer needs at least 256M of RAM and 4G of hard drive space, are those specs met?
That much and more! :D

Hairyloon

• user
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:24:05 pm »

A new image made no difference to "install32".  Odd: I'm sure it worked first time around.
Trying again to install.  Is it worth trying to do anything through the command prompt after the install stops?
Perhaps try to finish the job, install the bootloader, or check the system in some way.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 05:23:35 pm »

How about we recruit you to test version 7.2?  ;D

Try this image: http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.2/iso/VL-7.2-LIGHT-RC2.iso and see how it does for you.

Hairyloon

• user
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 05:43:50 pm »

How about we recruit you to test version 7.2?  ;D

Try this image: http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.2/iso/VL-7.2-LIGHT-RC2.iso and see how it does for you.

We can give it a go, but have you any suggestions for what I've got, while that's downloading and setting up?
It's just finished the install...
Oh, and it seems to have worked that time. :?
P'raps I'll put 7.2 on the other one and we can have a side by side comparison?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 06:28:27 pm »

Comparing the two versions is an excellent idea. Let us know what works, or not.

DannyVector

• user
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 04:06:58 am »

I have the same problem and didn't know how to solve it so I paid lots of money for technical guy, because I'm new to subject. That's why I registered so maybe I can find more information about Vectorlinux.
Danny Somerville