VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VL Light 7.1: cannot boot install CD with < 256MB ram?  (Read 272 times)

maelstrom

• user
VL Light 7.1: cannot boot install CD with < 256MB ram?
« on: April 26, 2017, 03:02:57 pm »

I'm playing with some distros to see what's capable of running on an 18-year-old Gateway laptop (400Mhz Celeron w/160MB of RAM). I noticed on the Vector website that Vector Light is supposed to run with as little as 64MB RAM... so I decided to give it a shot.

What happens when I try to boot the install CD and try either the standard installer or the "old" installer by typing in "install" at the boot prompt is the same: the boot process gets to the point of unpacking the rootfs when it goes into a kernel panic. The last message is "end of kernel panic - not syncing: Out of and no killable processes"

To test whether this was a hardware issue or not, I tried booting the CD image on a virtual machine set with 160MB of RAM. The same thing kernel panic happens. When I bump the RAM up to 256MB, the boot proceeds normally into the installer.

So, it looks like Vector Light is unhappy with anything less with 256MB of RAM. Am I missing some sort of setting that would allow it to boot in a machine with less RAM, or is the memory requirement listed on the site wrong?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL Light 7.1: cannot boot install CD with < 256MB ram?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 04:36:40 am »

Unfortunately, the information on the web site is outdated, the memory requirement listed is wrong :-[

The old text-only installer would run in a low memory environment, but the current one requires 256M to function.

As a side note/trivia/no excuse: After install the system will function with much less memory. I have tested it with 64M, purely for experimentation, as it is not really usable for much in that state.

I apologize for the confusion, and hope we can find the people power to give the web site an overhaul.

Thanks for testing.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL Light 7.1: cannot boot install CD with < 256MB ram?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 01:12:09 pm »

If you want to try the last version that would install on your machine, the release announcement, and download link for VL 7.0 Light is here:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=16036.0