VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Intel Corporation 82830M/MG Graphics  (Read 328 times)

terrybull

• user
Intel Corporation 82830M/MG Graphics
« on: May 10, 2017, 02:36:03 am »

I am using an ancient Panasonic cf-28 laptop (800mhz Pent 3M 248mb ram) which has a Intel Corporation 82830M/MG graphics chip. Vector light is running but the desktop  fills about 2/3rds of the screen area and not full screen. It shows the full desktop but squashed down to this smaller size. Other than this Vector runs well albeit a bit slow. I have read that this graphics chip is problematic with Linux. My linux skill is novice. Can anyone help how I can get the display opening properly
Thanks

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Intel Corporation 82830M/MG Graphics
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:17:27 am »

First step should be to boot to command line (TUI on the boot screen) and log in as root.
Make a copy of your current X configuration file (if present): cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /root

Then experiment by running "vxconf". It will build a custom configuration file for your display.
First try the "vesa" option and test it by running "startx".

From what I find on the web, your screen resolution should be 800x600.

terrybull

• user
Re: Intel Corporation 82830M/MG Graphics
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:45:36 am »

Thanks for the reply. VESA did nothing so I played around and managed to break it (touchpad and keyboard stopped responding). I'm too busy for the next few days so I'll come back to it in a while.