VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: nvidia proprietary driver error: missing kernel source [Vectorlinux 7.1 32bit]  (Read 839 times)

bruraschi

• user

Hi, i have an old pc with a geforce 2 mx400 graphic card, i want to install the nvidia proprietary graphics for better "performance". I've already disable nouveau driver by comment out it as discovered in topic http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=18709.0 but now after relaunching the nvidia installer a new error appears: the kernel source is missing. In the slapt package manager all kernel source are marked as "excluded".

How can i solve to proceed with the installation of the nvidia driver?

Masta

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian

Hi bruraschi,
 Open Gslapt
 Click Edit, then select Preferences
 Click on the Excludes tab
 Select kernel-src to highlight it, then click the Remove button

Repeat for anything in the Excludes that you wish to be removed.
 Click OK button when finished

I usualy restart Gslapt after that point, then update it. Then you may wish to search "kernel-src" and find the apropriate kernel source for your installed kernel.

What kernel version is installed? To answer this, you can open a terminal and command "uname -a". Type Exit to close terminal.

Hope this helps you to solve.

Cheers.........

bruraschi

• user

:( Unfortunately the nvidia installer version that i need (96.43.xx) isn't compatible with kernel>2.6. The possibility exists but I read other threads in wich users do not reccomend to proceed because the possibility to mess up the system is very high.

Indeed after installing kernel-src the nvidia continue to says error over error related to path of include *.h missing files...
So I decided to re-enable nouveau and put my soul in peace.

Darin

:( Unfortunately the nvidia installer version that i need (96.43.xx) isn't compatible with kernel>2.6

That is not true.

This is running on a 2.6.27.57 kernel, now granted this is an older 6.9 xorg but the kernel part is not a correct answer. Look at the link below and you can see even a 71.xxx.xxx series driver which actually is the faster of the nvidia drivers for the gforce2, make sure you have the full source even though you should only need the stripped source for building drivers. Also looking at my drivers that I have for the SuperGamer series you can install the 173.xxx.xxx series that will work also. The only reason I did not include the 93.xx series of drivers was that they are slower. The 71.xx series of drivers should work faster at least on the nforce2 cards. I do not know what is causing your issues but I am thinking you have corrupted xorg files. Whenever you try to install nvidia or ati drivers they change out some normal files that are used for X.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:40:12 pm by Darin »

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian

You could just build the (old) kernel yourself and install your kernel sources from your built kernel.