VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Slackware 1994 to VectorLinux 2017!  (Read 497 times)

Doug Brunelle

• user
Slackware 1994 to VectorLinux 2017!
« on: June 09, 2017, 01:05:23 pm »

Hi all,
I've run various distros of Linux since about 1994, starting with slackware back then. Red Hat in 1995, Fedora, etc.. and have enjoyed them all, even though I don't consider myself very technically-savvy in any of them.  Lately, I've been running current flavors of Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and Linux Mint, when I don't *have to* run MessySoft Windows.  I have three laptop machines, and this one is an old (circa 2003) emachines M6809 which I'm typing on now.  It is fairly resource-constrained, and I was running Lubuntu on it, which runs pretty well. But I wanted to look around for a distro that is usable but even lighter on system resources.  I heard about Vector Linux, and thought I'd give it a try.

Other than a bit of a problem initially getting the graphical interface to run (this ATI Radeon 9600 wouldn't come up by default; even though the radeon module was being loaded during bootup, I had to do some twiddling with vxconf), VL x64 Light runs great on this laptop!  I have 1.25GB RAM on this system, and a Mobile Athlon 64 CPU.  Using Lubuntu and Firefox, the memory was all used up if I opened more than a couple of tabs in the browser. Lots of disk activity causing severe slowdowns with the virtual memory usage, etc.. 

But on VL, using Xombrero, I can have 4 or 5 tabs open, and a couple other apps running, and memory usage is only 500-600 MB; very little swap file usage, and the system remains responsive.  CPU load is generally lower in VL than Lubuntu, also. I've been monitoring system resources with HTop, a very useful program. So I have to say, this distro of Linux is excellent for older, CPU and RAM-constrained hardware. All of the system hardware was detected and configured correctly during setup, other than the video, including the Broadcom wireless card (!). And I like the fact that most of the settings are visible and easy to get to. 

So, I've come full-circle-- slackware in 1994, to a slackware-based distro in 2017..  :-)

--Doug
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:07:04 pm by Doug Brunelle »

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Slackware 1994 to VectorLinux 2017!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 01:29:36 pm »

Nicely done Doug... Good thing you found your way around vxconf, I think you'll like VL.  We're just now rolling out 7.2 RC2 which will also come in the LIGHT edition.

Good to have you here.

Doug Brunelle

• user
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 03:17:42 pm »

Thanks-- yes, I think I'll burn me a copy of the 7.2 RC2 LIGHT and give it a try.  Or rather, the standard edition, until the LIGHT version is available. --db
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 03:20:08 pm by Doug Brunelle »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 06:30:20 am »

Thanks-- yes, I think I'll burn me a copy of the 7.2 RC2 LIGHT and give it a try.  Or rather, the standard edition, until the LIGHT version is available. --db

We're keeping the focus on the Standard edition for testing, but .. -psst.. you can find Light RC2 in the same download location. ;)

Doug Brunelle

• user
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 03:05:01 pm »

Thanks for that info, too!  I have installed RC2 x64 STD edition here and am running that now.  Firefox is a pretty big CPU and RAM hog, so I installed Xombrero and am running that.. with this one tab open, CPU is averaging around 25-30%, and memory usage is at 27% at the moment.  It depends on what sites I have open in the tabs, too- Facebook is pretty much a hog, too.   I'm liking this VL STD desktop -- the brushed-metal screen background looks sharp, and the menus are great. Btw, I didn't have to mess around with the video card settings on this version of VL; graphics mode came up after the install; no problems. I think Lubuntu has met its match.  :-)

--db
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:31:11 pm by Doug Brunelle »