VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Overlapping VL 7.1 packages? (ldap & js)  (Read 695 times)

Casey

• VL Light 7.1 user
Overlapping VL 7.1 packages? (ldap & js)
« on: June 17, 2017, 09:09:59 am »

I'm using VL 7.1 Light, and when I used gslapt to install claws-mail, it automatically added openldap-2.4.38 without removing the older package called openldap-client-2.4.31 as shown below:

Code: [Select]
~ $ slapt-get --list | grep -i ldap
openldap-2.4.38-i586-2vl71 [inst=yes]: lient: openldap-client (OpenLDAP client programs)
openldap-client-2.4.31-i586-2vl71 [inst=yes]: openldap-client (OpenLDAP client programs)

Do I need both?  Since these two packages have some files in common, I suspect that one will be "broken" if I manually remove the other one.  I hope that can be fixed by doing a re-install of the one I want to keep.  Can anyone confirm this before I get myself into trouble?

I'm also wondering if the following two packages are simply different versions of the same software:

Code: [Select]
~ $ slapt-get --list | grep -i javascript
js-1.8.0_rc1-i586-1vl71 [inst=yes]: js    (Mozilla's JavaScript Engine)
js185-1.0.0-i586-1vl71  [inst=no]:  js185 (SpiderMonkey - Mozilla's JavaScript Engine)

Again, I'd like to use gslapt to install the newer one, but I think doing so will NOT automatically remove the old one.  Should I remove js-1.8.0_rc1 manually BEFORE installing js185-1.0.0?

I'm guessing that unless the "Conficts With" tag is part of a software package, I could end up with two different versions of the same software installed together in the same directory.  Is that right?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Overlapping VL 7.1 packages? (ldap & js)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:33:41 am »

Judging by the build scripts, those packages are duplicates.

You should remove openldap-client-2.4.31, then reinstall openldap-2.4.38.

In the case of javascript, js-1.8.0_rc1 is the newest one.

That said, both of those are getting too old. I would recommend you look at switching to VL 7.2, which now is *almost" final.

Casey

• VL Light 7.1 user
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 07:10:24 am »

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm looking forward to VL 7.2, and I hope there will still be a "Light" version that works on my 12-year old Toshiba laptop.  I tried another "lightweight" distro, and found that their latest release doesn't support my hardware.  Their previous release did, but the installer froze up.  So, I'm sticking with Vector as long as it works on my "obsolete" computer.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 10:43:20 am »

VL 7.2 Light is coming along nicely, RC2 is available for download from here: http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.2/iso/

Hopefully it will work with your hardware. What kind of computer do you have?

Casey

• VL Light 7.1 user
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 06:03:11 am »

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 1405, which has a 1.2 GHz Celeron CPU and 1 gig of PC133 SDRAM.  It has some quirks, and is painfully slow only when running JavaScript.  I'm hoping the latest SeaMonkey will help, but I'm not sure if the Linux version requires SSE2 or not.  (The SeaMonkey web site says that SSE2 *is* required for their latest Windows release, but I didn't see a similar statement about Linux.)  Anyway I'll try VL Light 7.2 RC2 next week and let you know how things work out.  (I looked for a Light version of 7.2 RC3, but didn't find one.)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 08:03:50 am »

Our Seamonkey 2.46 does need a CPU with SSE2.

There is a version of Pale Moon for non-SSE2: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530

Light RC3 will be out by the end of this week.