Author Topic: VL Light 7.1: cannot boot install CD with < 256MB ram?  (Read 1861 times)

maelstrom

• user
VL Light 7.1: cannot boot install CD with < 256MB ram?
« on: April 26, 2017, 03:02:57 pm »
I'm playing with some distros to see what's capable of running on an 18-year-old Gateway laptop (400Mhz Celeron w/160MB of RAM). I noticed on the Vector website that Vector Light is supposed to run with as little as 64MB RAM... so I decided to give it a shot.

What happens when I try to boot the install CD and try either the standard installer or the "old" installer by typing in "install" at the boot prompt is the same: the boot process gets to the point of unpacking the rootfs when it goes into a kernel panic. The last message is "end of kernel panic - not syncing: Out of and no killable processes"

To test whether this was a hardware issue or not, I tried booting the CD image on a virtual machine set with 160MB of RAM. The same thing kernel panic happens. When I bump the RAM up to 256MB, the boot proceeds normally into the installer.

So, it looks like Vector Light is unhappy with anything less with 256MB of RAM. Am I missing some sort of setting that would allow it to boot in a machine with less RAM, or is the memory requirement listed on the site wrong?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL Light 7.1: cannot boot install CD with < 256MB ram?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 04:36:40 am »
Unfortunately, the information on the web site is outdated, the memory requirement listed is wrong :-[

The old text-only installer would run in a low memory environment, but the current one requires 256M to function.

As a side note/trivia/no excuse: After install the system will function with much less memory. I have tested it with 64M, purely for experimentation, as it is not really usable for much in that state.

I apologize for the confusion, and hope we can find the people power to give the web site an overhaul.

Thanks for testing.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL Light 7.1: cannot boot install CD with < 256MB ram?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 01:12:09 pm »
If you want to try the last version that would install on your machine, the release announcement, and download link for VL 7.0 Light is here:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=16036.0