VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: problem with dual boot on VL 70 light  (Read 176 times)

black-clover

• user
problem with dual boot on VL 70 light
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:43:32 am »

I installed VL 7.0 light as my primary OS and then another distro on another partition.
I reinstalled lilo from vasm and it recognized both VL and the other distro but when I reboot I keep getting the VL boot menu instead of the lilo menu with the other distro listed as well.
So I can I add the other distro and have it appear in the boot menu?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: problem with dual boot on VL 70 light
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:23:31 am »

If I understand you right, you re-ran the lilo installation on VL 7.0 after installing another distro, and it indicated that it had recognized the other one, yet when you reboot, only VL shows up as an option on initial boot screen?

VL 7.0 is getting long in the tooth, it has been years since I ran it, but the procedure was to log in as root, then run "vliloconf" and finally, "lilo".

black-clover

• user
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:52:58 pm »

what you describe is precisely what I did a few times and always with the same result, the boot menu only shows the original vector linux boot menu. It seems to me that somehow the set up overrides whatever y do to configure lilo.
besides that and a few very minor hitches, VL worked like a charm on this old presario c500 whereas other distros like linux mint are simply too heavy to run. I made a system upgrade and VL runs quite well, so much so that the second distro that I installed is another VL 7.0.light I intend to use as a guinea pig to learn the ropes without messing up the main install i use to work.

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 07:51:02 pm »

Bear in mind, VL7.0 isn't really supported any longer and most likely has tons of security holes big enough to drive a Mac truck through.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 06:19:38 am »

Alright, so we have one hard drive with two copies of VL Light, each on separate partitions. You have only been able to boot to the one you installed first.

I took a trip down memory lane and installed 7.0 Light twice in a virtual machine. The second install found the first one and created a boot menu with both instances available. This is the normal behaviour, but things don't always work out the way we hope.  :-\

First thing to do is make sure your second instance of Light installed correctly except for the boot loader. The easiest way to do this is to boot from the install disc again, and at the first screen follow the instructions to point it to the location where you installed Light.

Let's assume you created three partitions:
Code: [Select]
/dev/sda1: linux        # used for first installation
/dev/sda2: linux-swap   # shared swap partition
/dev/sda3: linux        # used for second installation
To start the second installation, boot from the install disc and at the first screen type "linux root=/dev/sda3 ro" and press "Enter".

If this procedure does not work, something went wrong during your second install.

This is a good learning exercise, please let us know what you find.  :)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 06:34:51 am »

Separate issue, Presario C500's came with dual core processors and at least 512M of RAM. Vista was the OS, so it should run VL 7.2 Light just fine. You may want to try installing that as your "second OS".   ;D

The ISO is here: http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.2/iso/VL-7.2-LIGHT-RC2.iso

black-clover

• user
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 10:35:16 am »

thanks for the answers and support,I'm downloading VL-7.2 right now. I suspected that VL 7.1 wasnt very new but as it works so well on this laptop I dont really mind. as for the dual boot I really took the easy way out and simply reinstalled the second VL 7.1 and reinstalled lilo from there and it found the other distro and just set up the boot menu right. Still I remain curious as why the original boot menu wouldnt change. I even installed grub over lilo and that didnt change a thing. besides that, VL is a cool distro for older laptops, I tried Linux MInt with KDE plasma and it looked cool but it took half a day to install, any app took a long time to load and the internet was awfully slow. Also VL recognizes older hardware very well which is a major issure with newer distros.