VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Another computer saved by Linux  (Read 445 times)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Another computer saved by Linux
« on: July 03, 2017, 06:28:14 pm »

My netbook fell out of my bag and hit the asfalt. It didn't seem like a big deal, it had taken similar spills before, but this time was different. Starting up, it did not recognize the hard drive. No boot.

I have a soft spot for the Asus EeePc line. It was the first of the netbooks, and it came with Linux. Granted, they eventually relented and went to Windows, but still. In doing so, they forced MS to keep XP alive, as Vista just would not run on that kind of hardware. Millions of windows users are thankful for the reprieve that it bought them.

So I dug in to it. No hard drive, but a single USB port on the left hand side worked. I plugged in a thumb drive with live Linux and whaddyaknow.. it came alive! The whole right side was dead - USB ports, sound and ethernet port, but wifi worked. I got one of those tiny thumb drives that just barely protrudes out from the port and configured it to run live with persistence.

So here I am, lounging on my back deck, typing this on a resurrected netbook. Thank you, GNU/Linux/FLOSS!

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Another computer saved by Linux
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:05:55 pm »

Nicely done sir!