VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: optical drive  (Read 284 times)

overthere

• Vectorian
optical drive
« on: July 31, 2017, 09:18:43 am »

Have Vl 7.2 STD RC3.1 installed to actual hardware and booting with the install dvd

If I remove the install dvd after boot and place a dvd movie in the drive, the dvd appears on the desktop as icon and opening thunar I can view the content. It will also play in smplayer unlike .avi and mp4 files.

however if I remove the dvd movie and place another in the drive the icon remains on the desktop and in thunar from the previous movie. I am required to eject in thunar via right click select for this operation.

Is this also required with a normal install or would ejecting the disk via the optical drive open button clear the way for a new disk?
Everything Is Relative

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: optical drive
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:25:12 am »

I recall having seen this glitch or similar when you start a computer with a disc in the optical drive.

Try booting as you do, but after you hit Enter and the text starts scrolling by, as soon as the light on the optical drive extinguishes, take the disc out. After the system has settled down and the desktop is stabilized, try inserting the disc again and test.

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:51:05 pm »

Thanks, I did as you suggested several times popping the disk out at various times to ensure I was getting it correct but it remains the same each time.

I then attempted to boot from a usb but it did not accept the linux root= command and instead booted to the text installer....I had downloaded the iso on windows this time and used unetbootin to copy to the usb...the dvd boots the gui installer..

when ejecting via the file manager all seems as it should..I just have to remember to do it..

appears it should eject with the optical drive button if installed with a bootloader and often also when booting with the install dvd but in my case a hardware issue is preventing it...if I am understanding you
Everything Is Relative

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 04:01:06 pm »

I honestly don't know exactly how it is supposed to work in XFCE, I just thought it may help experimentation to not have a disc in the drive when the DE loads.

If you start with no disc and no icon on desktop, then insert disc and get icon on desktop, and then the icon stays there after you eject with the hardware button.. this will probably not change if you boot from grub on the hard drive.

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 03:32:54 am »

Thunar eject it is. and I notice that even the multimedia buttons work on the side of the keyboard. Very nice

Everything Is Relative